Turbo Prop Time Vs. Jet Time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Man-Ditch

I see job postings with a min requirement of 500hr+/- of "Jet" time. I'm not exactly sure what they mean here. For one, there really is no "Jet" engines out there and hasn't been in a long time. There are TurboFans and TurboProps which are burning the same gas and just produce thrust in different ways.

I have 700hrs of Turbine time (read: turbo prop) if you were me, would you apply to these postings?
Is this a "jet" engine or are they talking about sweptwing turbofans? I would think they are just looking for experience with the advanced engines and avionics.

I'd like to hear the opinions.

I see job postings with a min requirement of 500hr+/- of "Jet" time. I'm not exactly sure what they mean here. For one, there really is no "Jet" engines out there and hasn't been in a long time. There are TurboFans and TurboProps which are burning the same gas and just produce thrust in different ways.

I have 700hrs of Turbine time (read: turbo prop) if you were me, would you apply to these postings?
Is this a "jet" engine or are they talking about sweptwing turbofans? I would think they are just looking for experience with the advanced engines and avionics.

You can apply for whatever you want, let them decide.

A turbo-prop is not a jet. A jet is not a turbo-prop.

A doughnut without a hole is a danish.

Apply apply apply! Sooner or later someone will hire you. The best thing to do is network. Get to know all the people you can in your area. EVERYONE at one point had no jet time when they got their first jet job...good luck!

There are plenty of people that get jobs requiring "jet" time with only turboprop time.

I really don't think many employers care, as long as you have the right background and experience.

A doughnut without a hole is a danish

HA! That's good! I'll make sure to say that in the interview!

I figured I could just apply, but some of these sites take a good 30 to 45 min to work through the online application. Just didn't want to waste my time.

No matter what type pf set-up you're talking about....a "jet" engine is still present. All engines are "jet" engines, or turbines. Turbofan engines are "jet" engines, or turbine engines with a big fan attached to the front.

The person making the advertisement for the job opening should clearly state whether they want, "turbo-jet" time or if they want "turbo-prop" time, further they should say if all "turbine" time will be excepted. Turbine time is any set-up using a "jet" engine to get its power. Both use "jet" engines and always will, one has a fan attached to the front, one has a prop attached.

Can't hurt to send a resume anywhere, just depends on what the ad says they are looking for.

if they want "jet" time they mean a jet.....not what kind of engine it has....

if they asked for "turbine" time then it would mean either a "jet" OR "turbo-prop"

if your going to let semantical retardation get in the way of understanding what a job poster means by "jet time", then your probably not the guy they're looking for.

if your going to let semantical retardation get in the way of understanding what a job poster means by "jet time", then your probably not the guy they're looking for.

Thanks for that!
Your just the kind of "Pilot" I would love to kick down air stairs.

Come on man, you really mean to tell me that you don't know what people are referring to when they say "jet time"? If your going to play your "technically" game, you should just count all the time you've ever been on a jet ski. "Technically" that's a jet.

Use your head man.

Latest resources

Back