Turbo Prop Time Vs. Jet Time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FLY91-

Yeah thanks, I certainly got more than I asked for (or needed) to a simple question that I just needed cleared up. I have some Jet time in 750's of all things so I understand there are differences. I guess my question was more to applying to jobs that seem to be posted by HR and in my mind were not worded properly. I totally agree that turboprop time can be a handful and transitions should be a cake walk.

I am very specific with my applications and just where and who I am applying to. I have a full-time job and fly contract as well. So to those that think I am not willing to "put out" to spend 45 mins on an application, well that isn't realistic for me. I pay very close attention to the words "if you don't meet the requirements...." seems a reasonable request to me.

My strategy seems to be working because I have sent out exactly 9 application packets and have had 4 call backs and three interviews with one rejected offer. I am "in Process" with two others after looking for just two and a half weeks. Not bad for aviation job hunting in a hurting market.

But what do I know.

Thanks again.

Sounds like you're doing what you need to. The market is hurting, no doubt, and all you can do is apply everywhere, to any company. Even send resumes to those companies that say, "if you don't meet the requirements...."....because companies sometimes except a pilot because they have to. Any pilot can be trained to do the same job as their best pilot. It just makes sense for a company to try to get a resume from a highly experienced pilot that will fit directly right into their needs first.

several years ago, I was at a 121 carrier with close to 4k hours and 1500 sic turbine (Dash-8). I applied for a Citation-5 sic job and was told I was not qualified to fly "Jets". So, I applied for a Sabreliner Pic job and got it. You never know, just be yoursef and things will work out, unless you smell funny or are a jerkwad. (J/K) I got hired and I smell funny and am a total jerkwad, at least my wife said I was.

Hard to say, but whatever it is you think you know, it's apparently not how to recognize a "jet."

Wow, its great to read such stellar words from a former "Iceman-Top-Gun-Pilot" like yourself! And to think he didn't know the word jet! I bet you teach English too! I am so honored to have read your holy words of wisdom! If only I could be as good as Avbug...Darn!!!

I think this thread has run it's course.

The thread had run it's course with your first post. Some say there's no such thing as a stupid question, but your post proves otherwise, as do your subsequent comments.

I have some Jet time in 750's of all things...

I have 700hrs of Turbine time (read: turbo prop)...

A/C Flown: BE20, BE90, BE36, PC12, JetProp??
Ratings: COM/ME/Inst

Then there's the nonsensical complete lack of understanding regarding even the basics...

All engines are "jet" engines, or turbines. Turbofan engines are "jet" engines, or turbine engines with a big fan attached to the front.

Ah, no.

Turbine time is any set-up using a "jet" engine to get its power. Both use "jet" engines and always will, one has a fan attached to the front, one has a prop attached.

Again, no.

But then, what else might one expect from someone who's too lazy to spend 45 minutes completing a job application? Clearly exactly what we have...a pilot impersonator who can't tell the difference between powerplants, posts like a 14 year old, and whines when he doesn't hear what he wants.

Your just the kind of "Pilot" I would love to kick down air stairs.

Again with the 14 year old language...it never gets old, does it?

If only I could be as good as Avbug...Darn!!!

That's not likely to happen in your lifetime.

Avbug-
Last I checked a JetProp was indeed a type of aircraft. The turbine conversion kit on the Piper Malibu is called the JetProp. May well not be an official name or type designe but I have always heard those aircraft referred to as JetProps.

Thanks Bizjet800 and eagle06.

I flew for the guy that owns the company (JetProp) when he lost his medical...class guy and a fine aircraft. Controllers never could figure us out, doing 260 kts @ FL270..."N26##...uhh say type!"

Avbug...got nothing for ya.

Apply apply apply! Sooner or later someone will hire you. The best thing to do is network. Get to know all the people you can in your area. EVERYONE at one point had no jet time when they got their first jet job...good luck!

Good not agree more....let them say no. Maybe they will like the fact you are showing intiative. Plus, you never know if they can't use you, maybe they know someone who can. Its another way to network if nothing else.

Latest resources

Back