• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Turbine PIC or going back to regionals?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are the majors your long-term goal. If so, why? With the state of the industry, it is a VERY valid question to ask. Just because it was an attractive career path when you started flying doesn't mean it is now. I think sometimes we get locked into decisions that were valid yesterday that aren't today.

"

Excellent post.

Last year a 7 year NetJets captain left for UA. He had that "big jet syndrome" the one that most of the younger pilots have. His wife, friends, and me adviced him not to do it, but he said it was his dream to fly big metal and told us to go to hell....... When UA starts furloughing, he will be in the first group.

Last edited:
I hate to agree with the general trend of advice here, yet I do. Everything is so uncertain across this industry right now that any job you decide to take should meet the "do I want to still be here in 10 years?" requirement.

If you have jobs to choose from, you really might want to pick whichever one you could stand to remain at awhile, rather than which ever one would be the better stepping stone, as the stepping stone might just be on a path to the edge of a cliff these days.

...as the stepping stone might just be on a path to the edge of a cliff these days.

Good call! I think right now the only safe path is one that leads away from the industry. If you're like me, that isn't really an option... but someday.

-Goose

We all know somebody that got hired at (insert airline here) with single engine turbine PIC time. It's not unheard of.

But in the current market, unless that single engine turbine job has you strapping into an ejection seat, it's about as useful as tits on a boar.

By that I mean resume wise and trying to get on at a major.

It's still good experience and if it pays the bills, all the much better.

Turbine PIC is always good to have, regardless of how many engines are hanging on the airframe.

SWA does not require multi-turbine PIC.

I have heard of guys getting hired at SWA with only single engine TPIC time in agcats.

With that said it is rare but it has happened.fwiw

I'm sure you are referring to Single engine JET TPIC. Military guys maybe? I doubt that anyone with 3000 hours PIC of Fixed gear, CARAVAN time has gotten picked up by SWA.

I'm sure you are referring to Single engine JET TPIC. Military guys maybe? I doubt that anyone with 3000 hours PIC of Fixed gear, CARAVAN time has gotten picked up by SWA.

I guess it's a glass half full/half empty thing. I'm thinking that someone with that kind of 'van time has to have been picked up by SWA at one point or another. It's probably not the norm, but then again, guys with that kind of time aren't really the norm either.

It's all academic to me though. I don't have a butt-load of single engine turbine time, and I couldn't care less about getting on with SWA. It's an airline, therefore, that's strike one, two, and three.

-Goose

Hey everybody,

Soon to be furloughed here and I have the option of chosing 2 directions for my next move.

What do you guys think is better for my resume:

Flying 208s and building PIC time on single engine turbine or going back as an FO to a regional and continue building jet time?

I have about 1500 Jet time on CRJ, ERJ and 320 but no PIC turbine.

Is single engine Turbine PIC of any value when applying for majors? It might be a stupid question but they never mention in their job requirements if the Turbine PIC time has to be in a multi...

Thanks for the help

It seems to me that some time ago that 1000 pic turbine (yes multi-eng.) was what you wanted to start with when getting on with a "major". My how times change rapidly.

If getting on with a "major" is what you want, look at the minimum vs. competitive req's to get hired and shoot for that. Personally I would start with SWA, FEDEX, and UPS and work towards that. Keeping in mind the current economic environment, how long it will take you to get there, remembering of course, how quickly this business changes. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back