• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just paid 2.35 a gallon for jet A.

Made me smile all day long.

Originally Posted by Vladimir Lenin
now that's a sweet bird...300 knots on 62 gals of kerosene at 2.80 a gallon vs. 220 knots on 45 gals of avgas at 3.30 a gallon

173.60-148.50=25 bux for 80 extra knots

$173.60/300kt= $0.58/kt vs. $148.50/220kt= $0.68/kt

I think Duke values just went up.

Anybody notice this quote from the article:

As avgas becomes progressively more expensive and less available,

I understand the more expensive part but less available?

KigAir said:
Anybody notice this quote from the article:

As avgas becomes progressively more expensive and less available,

I understand the more expensive part but less available?
100LL will be taken off the market, perhaps with in 10 years. "They" are working on a suitable replacement, but there really don't have one yet. The next 10 years are going to be quite interesting. I understand that there is a certified replacement - 91 octane, but they've still got to figure out how to get 100 octane engines to operate on the stuff without loosing too much power.

As far as bastardizing the Duke...

You can count on one hand the number of general aviation airframes that were successful in going from piston to turbine power - the ones that come to mind are the Piper Malibu / Meridian, the Cessna 421 / Conquest I, the Piper Navajo / Cheyenne, and the Beech Queen Air / King Air (stretching it a bit).

There have been many more attempts that didn't make it or had very limited success in the market - the Soloy Cessna conversions, the Allison powered Cessna 402, the turboprop Bonanza and Cessna P210 conversions, the Riley 421 conversion (actually two separate mods, they had both P&W and Lycoming turbine engined variants.) I'm sure there's many more out there. In fact, at CRQ theres a Baron airframe that someone had the bright idea to hang a pair of turboprop engines on.

If you're ever stuck with one of these bastardized airframes you'll need all of the luck you can muster both while you own it and later when you try to sell it.

'Sled

Latest resources

Back