Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TSA

Thoroughly Stinkin Assinine

The only they are protecting is their own beaurocratic largess.

I am so glad the government in its infinite wisdom gave these people 40, 60, and 80 thousand dollar a year jobs....by the way...love the epaullettes!

Stupid politicians...federalize airline workers!

The TSA has no plans to allow anyone in the cockpit! !

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR...You're "agent" friend isn't even an agent any more. Each large airport used to have FAA Special Agents (under the DOT). This group was merged into the TSA in 2003, the agents are now called Inspectors (a group totally seperate from the screeners). Inspectors frequently test the TSA screeners to see how poorly they perform as well as verify compliance with the Airport Security Plan (ASP) and the Aircraft Operators Standard Security Plan (AOSSP). They do not control the ramp; this is the job of the airport personnel. The inspectors verify that you are in compliance with the AOSSP (written by the FAA) which states that you must secure your aircraft (which includes closing the door) when it is not attended.
They occasionally would have to enter your airplane to verify the first flight and international inspections have been done in compliance with the current Security Directives (SD's) that have been issued. They have no need to enter the cockpit other than as a courtesy introduction to the pilot prior to the inspection. Most of these inspections are done prior to the crews arrival, however, if the crew does the search then you may see them during your prefllight stuff.

THERE ARE NO DIRECTIVES AUTHORIZING ANYONE FROM TSA TO RIDE IN THE COCKPIT.

BTW the average screener makes $26,000 a year (more than I made at Skywest but not quite the $80,000 that JD2003 mentions)

From the USAJOBS.GOV website
TRANSPORTATION SECURITY SCREENER
SV-0019, Pay Band D
Annual Salary Range - $23,600-$35,400 per year

"if the crew does the search then you may see them during your prefllight stuff.'

Pray tell, who made sure they were adeaqutely wanded and are not hiding weapons on my aircraft? Seen enough TSA personnel walking through the machine setting it off, yet no one raises an eyebrow. As we saw, in MCO I believe, they were taking bribes letting bad stuff through.

Sorry, it is simply window dressing! There are plenty of loopholes, we see it every day!

Last edited:
I agree a lot of it is window dressing...do you have any solutions? Does anyone know the status of the CASS system for commuting pilots?

You guys need to lighten up a little. Let's all try to welcome them aboard.
Even offer them a cup of coffee. Cream and sugar ? No problem.

How about a little Visine ? :)

This was brought up two years ago when we were trying to get the off-line JS back. Prior to the CASS approval. TSA did bring up the subject. The airline JS coordinators made sure it did not happen.

I'll buy that coordinator a beer any time!

Boy that's not fair when those aholes can travel free, but it costs me over $200 in non-rev fee's to travel my wife and child on American Airlines for a short weekend getaway.

Wouldn't that just make your day if you were trying to jumpseat home and ended up getting bumped by one of these people?

TSA Jumpseating

I wouldn't let a TSA employee jumpseat with me, but I would love it if ICE would allow the FAM's to jumpseat, they deserve it.

Latest resources

Back