TSA Security Nazis At Work

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anaconda,

In my mind you missed a golden opportunity. If while going through security a screener had said out loud that there was alcohol in my bag, I would have been alcohol tested, the flight delayed, ALPA and maybe press contacted, and hopefully the screener fired.

Why would I go through this, because security is not a joke. If I or you say to somebody "I have a bomb in my bag, just kidding" what would happen. I would be arrested, fired, name all over the paper and probably a huge fine and/or jail sentence. This would be due to the zero tolerance policy.

Why should things be any different for a security screener? As we are, they should be held to a higher standard. I would have liked to have seen that screener taken to task for his remark.

Well another case

August 8, 2002 -- A Long Island mother is fuming that JFK Airport security guards forced her to drink her own breast milk in front of other passengers before boarding a flight.

Click the link below for the entire story.
http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/54312.htm

You all heard the new one about the screener that forced a mother to drink her own breast milk that was in bottles? She was carrying her child and wouldn't let her on the plane until she sampled it. Got it off the Thurs morning news, FOX I believe.

I have a link to the story right above yours.

RE: Breast milk

I don't have the words to tell you how badly this story honks me off! I thought it was a joke when somebody first mentioned it. If this was my wife...I'd seriously consider taking a few days off to take all the paper related to this incident and take it to Washington D.C. I'd start working up the TSA food-chain until I secured a very public apology for my wife.

AAAaaaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!!

How many passengers do we have to alienate before we finally get some intelligent security? Frisking pilots? Confiscating tie tacs and plastic toy swords? Mothers drinking their own breast milk?

Here's an idea: as a PIC at a Part 121 company, I'm responsible for everything related to the safety of my aircraft and its payload, right? Maybe we captains need to start observing these random screenings. I think we're well within our rights and jurisdiction to stand there and monitor these inspections. If I'd been standing there, this woman would not have had to be subjected to this humiliation.

The great thing about "zero tolerance" is that it takes ZERO BRAINS to enforce!

The problem is on the TSA food chain these guys are above you. Watching it will only pi$s you off more.

Heck they might even decide to give you a "random" screening right there. This people are the law unfortunately, the only way to change the law is though civil war/unrest or though congress.

Take your pick they both $uck, and either way you have a snow balls chance of getting anything done with the way things are right now.

If you are a detractor you are a terrorist and unamerican in the eyes of so many people.

Hopefully one of these days someone might relize the responsbillity that comes with PIC (even in might C150), but with the way that people drive their cars, that day may never come.

I agree that there are a lot of idiots working security out there. But think about this. Do you want those idiots trying to distinguish if you really fly for a 121 carrier? Do you think they can differentiate between Osama Airlines and UAL? This is why you as a 121 pilot have to go through security. Many uniforms, ID's and crew bags have been stolen in the last year. Until ALPA gets the biometric high tech ID done and approved get used to going through screening. It doesn't do you any good to say "I'm a 121 pilot I shouldn't be subjected to this. Remember before Sept. 11, if you set off the mag you still had to empty your pockets and resolve the alarm that you set off.
Many of the screeners that are contract screeners (Huntleigh, ITS, Globe ground) still make people take their hats off. TSA screeners shouldn't do that. TSA is trying to be customer friendly and they actually get classes in how to do that (and recurrent training on a weekly basis). If you have a problem, don't make a scene at the checkpoint, seek out a supervisor and discuss it with them. Most will take action right away to correct the problem. USA today, and CNN have published lists of prohibited items. Nail files (and clippers) are not prohibited; toy guns are (they probably don't want a screener try to differentiate between the fake Glock and UZI's that are out there.
TSA has no choice on the profiling issue. Congress and Norman Mineta won't let them. Mineta was forced into a Japanese internment camp during WWII. Recently the Aviation subcommittee was discussing this and they were asking why not (hopefully they'll have the huevos to allow it--probably not though, too many ACLU lawyers out there) I think we all know who the threat is for for now, unfortunately TSA's hands are tied until Congress grants them some relief. Good news is the Loy (TSA head chief) is a lot more pro active and carrier friendly than McGaw was.
Finally like was stated earlier, the higher salaries are intended to attract higher quality people. It sound like in some areas it is working, hopefully it will at least be better than it was before.

First off, I want to go all the way back to the comment about the movie Airplane. I would say that with out a doubt Airplane is the most realistic movie about airline flying I have ever seen.

Second, TSA pay is ridiculous. I say that because of this: 9/11 happened because of the policies at the time and security lapses. As a result pilots die. So, we furlough thousands of pilots and give security a pay raise. Only in America. Do you want a Diet Coke with your Big Mac and Extra Large Fries?

9/11

KSU Aviator, I surely agree with you that the TSA folks are overpaid. But I am not sure 9/11 happened because of security lapses. I would think you can hijack a plane with a gun, a small boxcutter, or no weapon at all. What makes the difference in INTENT. Immigration has been the problem, along with enough of our society that is quick to point a finger and cry "racism," that 9/11 is what we end up with when Americans become soft and intimidated over what the minority will think of us. And we haven't learned: case in point are the terrosists being held in the camp and so many Americans fearing they are not being treated "humanely." Boo-hoo. I want to give them every civil right they themselves would afford an American citizen.

The best way we as a nation can achieve security in the skies is to let any potential perpetrator know that not only will he fail, but will probably be humilitated at the same time. I've given this subject alot of thought. Everytime I question the security checkpoints, I also ask what if...? Security before 9/11 was not smart in that it allowed blades up to 3 inches onto an aircraft. The current policy of confiscating leatherman tools from the flight crew isn't smart either.

Solutions:

Armed flight/cabin crew. This would have to be the single biggest deterrent to any potential hijacking/air rage situation.

Sky Marshalls on at least 50% of scheduled aircraft.

Profiling... yes I said profiling. Granny does not fit the profile so leave her alone unless she happens to have a machete.

Biometric screening of flight crews so we can do our jobs

A biometric frequent flier program so we can get the business flier back in the air on airlines.

The TSA is a huge improvement ovewr the contract burger flippers. They seem to be alot more on the ball. However, we need to make the system more user friendly so that we can get the industry growing again. The TSA has to realize that the problem comes from people and not from any items a person can carry. As stated earlier, many weapons can be fashioned from simple objects. We need to focus on the bad guys.

IMHO

Steve

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back