• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

TSA Large Aircraft Security Program NPRM

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Exactly what will the TSA require us part 91 people do? I'm not up to speed on the "Large Airplane Security Program"

I would suggest getting up to "speed" and read the NPRM for yourself, before you get run over.

:beer:

Added my comments, and they certainly are not in favor of adopting this rule.

Here is a brief quote from an AIN article regarding the proposed TSA NPRM. This is something that everyone, Fractional (91.k), 135, and 91 should be concerned about. Regardless of what part of the industry you belong, or hope to work in, this is another example of the TSA over reaching and not providing any additional security. I agree with the statement that it boils down to cash...the TSA see's a way to increase it's cash flow, need for additional staff and justify it's existance.

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']“Here’s what you could not do if the rules become law:

• Fly your spouse or children in your single-pilot Citation S/II without first having them cleared against the TSA’s watch list.

• Fly your boss to a business meeting in the company Hawker 800 without having him or her cleared against the watch list.

• Fly yourself in your own Super King Air 300 without having your in-house security coordinator (it could be you) check the airplane for stowaways.

• Fly yourself in your own single-pilot Premier IA without getting yourself vetted with a fingerprint and criminal-history records check.

The NPRM is specific and clear about what owners and operators of general aviation aircraft weighing more than 12,500 pounds must do once the rules take effect. To fly any Part 91 flight in any aircraft with an mtow of more than 12,500 pounds, the following will be mandatory:

• A TSA-approved security plan;

• a third-party audit of that plan six months after TSA approval of the plan and every two years thereafter;

• an in-house security coordinator, who has been provided initial and annual recurrent training;

• flight crew who have undergone FBI criminal-history records checks and fingerprint checks and TSA security threat assessments;

• preflight checks of all passengers against TSA watch lists (no-fly and selectee lists). This would be done through TSA-approved third parties, and the watch list would no longer be released to operators.

To the TSA, the proposed Large Aircraft Security Program regulations make perfectly good sense, but general aviation operators for the most part oppose the rules as unnecessary, costly, logistically difficult to implement and impossible to enforce.”
[/FONT]

http://www.ainonline.com/news/single-news-page/article/large-aircraft-nprm-raises-more-questions-than-answers/

Here is the link to the proposal, and comments section.

http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/component/main?main=DocumentDetail&o=0900006480784e85

I've been out of the whole loop for a while, but checking the No-Fly list consisted of just looking to see if the person's name was there and then filling out a form saying you "checked" it. Is this still the case? Don't get me wrong, I think this program is completely irrelevant to Corp. flying. I'm just trying to plan ahead and hopefully find loopholes.

It goes beyond the no fly list. It's not completely clear what all will be included in the program, that is the biggest problem with the proposal. There is language that baggage checks will be included, I have read that TSA security officers or air marshalls may need to ride on corporate aircraft. Now I have to admit that I didn't read the entire 260 page doc, but they have made a mess of the airlines and would really like to see them stay as far away from the corporate world as possible.

Can I also wear the blue shirt, while my passengers board my 350? BTW all shoes will be placed in the wing lockers..

Latest resources

Back