TSA Fail

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

stall022

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/loade...reeners/story?id=12412458&cid=yahoo_pitchlist

Gaping Holes in Airline Security: Loaded Gun Slips Past TSA Screeners
Secret Tests At LAX, O'Hare, Newark Show TSA Screeners Missed Guns, Bombs

Last fall, as he had done hundreds of times, Iranian-American businessman Farid Seif passed through security at a Houston airport and boarded an international flight.

He didn't realize he had forgotten to remove the loaded snub nose "baby" Glock pistol from his computer bag. But TSA officers never noticed as his bag glided along the belt and was x-rayed. When he got to his hotel after the three-hour flight, he was shocked to discover the gun traveled unnoticed from Houston.

"It's just impossible to miss it, you know. I mean, this is not a small gun," Seif told ABC News. "How can you miss it? You cannot miss it."
But the TSA did miss it, and despite what most people believe about the painstaking effort to screen airline passengers and their luggage before they enter the terminal, it was not that unusual.

Experts tell ABC News that every year since the September 11 terror attacks, federal agencies have conducted random, covert "red team tests," where undercover agents try to see just how much they can get past security checks at major U.S. airports. And while the Department of Homeland Security closely guards the results as classified, those that have leaked in media reports have been shocking.

According to one report, undercover TSA agents testing security at a Newark airport terminal on one day in 2006 found that TSA screeners failed to detect concealed bombs and guns 20 out of 22 times. A 2007 government audit leaked to USA Today revealed that undercover agents were successful slipping simulated explosives and bomb parts through Los Angeles's LAX airport in 50 out of 70 attempts, and at Chicago's O'Hare airport agents made 75 attempts and succeeded in getting through undetected 45 times.

Way to get the scoop on this ABC!!! Thanks for showing all the nutjobs the holes we have in our security! We will all be safer for your spot on reporting.

Really? Your blame falls on ABC for not making us safer? Anyone who travels through airports can see the talent level of the TSA. That's not new news. Without public embarrasment, the TSA will feel no pressure to tighten up its ranks, and maybe not even then.

also the TSA has not done any reasearch to see if the full body scanners even work at stopping people from getting weapons through security. They mostly just implement the machines and say they are needed without any proof that they even work. Like the machines used to scan people shoes that were put in after the shoe bombe then taken out a year later after it was proved they didn't work. It would be nice if the media would do some investigating rather than report heresay.

Really? Your blame falls on ABC for not making us safer? Anyone who travels through airports can see the talent level of the TSA. That's not new news. Without public embarrasment, the TSA will feel no pressure to tighten up its ranks, and maybe not even then.

Yes "really." This should be handled internally with either better training or more firings. While I don't have much against airing dirty laundry in regards to the TSA, I don't think specifics should be talked about. Even though we know there are glaring problems with the TSA the "aura" of them stopping guns and explosives can be an effective deterrent. Now telling the world they cannot even do this removes that deterrent. I believe this would be akin to a boxer telling his opponent he has a bum right eye and not to hit him on the right.

Lets face it. The bad guys are 3 steps ahead of us....I wish we could be in an offensive position for once instead of always playing defense. The TSA is a JOKE and everyone knows it. We need to start thinking much farther ahead than we are.....the bad guys just sit back and laugh at us, it is pretty sad.

Yes "really." This should be handled internally with either better training or more firings. While I don't have much against airing dirty laundry in regards to the TSA, I don't think specifics should be talked about. Even though we know there are glaring problems with the TSA the "aura" of them stopping guns and explosives can be an effective deterrent. Now telling the world they cannot even do this removes that deterrent. I believe this would be akin to a boxer telling his opponent he has a bum right eye and not to hit him on the right.

Yea cuz the terrorists REALLY don't know about holes in our security...I promise you they know more about our security gaps than you, or any media organization.

Yea cuz the terrorists REALLY don't know about holes in our security...I promise you they know more about our security gaps than you, or any media organization.

How can you "promise" me this? I think they don't all know about the holes otherwise they would have shot up a flight or two by now or blown one up. Instead they are lighting shoes on fire and other stupid crap. You can't promise anything.

Latest resources

Back