• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

TSA and the boarding pass

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I had the same problem in SAN when jumpseating on Delta instead I was actually pulled out of the line at a ticket counter by a Delta CSA and told that as a jumpseater I can just show my set of ID's at the security and don't need a jumpseat form to get thru.

Well, I got there, and the TSA Nazis got all over me for not having a ticket. I showed them the ID to no avail. They sent me back to the counter. Now the Delta CSA was irritated with me why was I back? I told her TSA Nazis turned me back to get a jumpseat slip. This CSA was persistent with me... you don't need a slip, just go. I say, ma'am, I was just told by the TSA that I need a slip to get through security or else I'll miss my flight. Now this CSA gets lippy with me: "If you don't lose the attitude, you're not going anywhere." I was gonna get her name and employee number and talk to her supervisor because i was nothing but pleasant with her, but figured I just wanted to get on outta there.. Now, between the TSA nonsense, and this hag... it was a start of an interesting trip.

I got through...

Now in ATL later that day, catching an ASA flight, the TSA randomly pulls me at the gate for additional screening. I'm like.. WTFO? I thought they stopped random searches of airline employees at least. The guy didn't give a rat's... now I'm thinking OK, so if I argue with this guy whether I am exempt from random searches, I could be labeled as a "security risk" and there goes my livelihood...

So now a few days later, I go to LAS. On the way out, I show my ID's at the security and go right through. Now I'm back in SAN catching a flight back to HNL on Hawaiian, and I go right through security at a different checkpoint with just my ID.

Do these guys make up rules as they go? Whatever happened to checks-and-balances when it comes to TSA?

I used to commute, but man... I couldn't deal with this clusterf... on a regular basis.

Freight Dog said:
Do these guys make up rules as they go? Whatever happened to checks-and-balances when it comes to TSA?
Sadly, yes. TSA in IND a couple of weeks ago told me I couldn't go through the magnetometer with a cup of frozen yogurt because it didn't have a cap on it. Think about that for a second. Now try to unscramble your brain - since the order makes absolutely no sense. They couldn't tell me why I needed a cap on my threatening cup of frozen yogurt, just that I couldn't go through security without one. W T F O.

Administrative agencies (IRS, FAA etc) are outside the normal checks and balances system, therefore the unlimited power. God help us.

Jarhead

Jarhead said, " I do not find this to be unreasonable, given the Brit, Richard Reed's attempt to blow up an airliner with a shoe bomb."

Good thing ol' Richard didnt keep the explosive in his jock-strap.

njcapt said:
Sadly, yes. TSA in IND a couple of weeks ago told me I couldn't go through the magnetometer with a cup of frozen yogurt because it didn't have a cap on it. Think about that for a second. Now try to unscramble your brain - since the order makes absolutely no sense. They couldn't tell me why I needed a cap on my threatening cup of frozen yogurt, just that I couldn't go through security without one. W T F O.

Administrative agencies (IRS, FAA etc) are outside the normal checks and balances system, therefore the unlimited power. God help us.

nj, you bring up a valid concern. Makes me wonder if any these folks ever stop and think about what they're doing or do they just check their brains at the door? Seems like the guberment is taking it out on law abiding citizens. This is a bit of an overstatement, but it reminds me of the Germans doing the bidding of Hitler. Don't question anything, just do it...for the good of the country.

There is a security directive out that states an airline employee with a valid airline I.D. does not need a boarding pass to go through security.

I stress- IF THIS CONTINUES TO HAPPEN TO ANYONE ON THIS BOARD, IMMEDIATELY DOCUMENT THE SITUATION AND FOLLOW IT UP WITH A REPORT TO YOUR JUMPSEAT COORDINATOR! The first thing you should do is stick to your guns. Ask for a TSA supervisor. Inform him/her that they are not following procedure. Then gather names and employee numbers of everyone involved. Write all of that information down, including all the other details.

I was also informed that airline employees (whether in uniform or not in uniform) are exempt from random searches at the gate. If the TSA or the gate agent is attempting to have you go through a gate search, inform them about this. If they continue, document the whole situation.

We need to adopt a zero tolerance policy on this type of harrassment. I've had it happen to me multiple times and I am now documenting it.

Last edited:
flight-crew said:
There is a security directive out that states an airline employee with a valid airline I.D. does not need a boarding pass to go through security.

I stress- IF THIS CONTINUES TO HAPPEN TO ANYONE ON THIS BOARD, IMMEDIATELY DOCUMENT THE SITUATION AND FOLLOW IT UP WITH A REPORT TO YOUR JUMPSEAT COORDINATOR! The first thing you should do is stick to your guns. Ask for a TSA supervisor. Inform him/her that they are not following procedure. Then gather names and employee numbers of everyone involved. Write all of that information down, including all the other details.

I was also informed that airline employees (whether in uniform or not in uniform) are exempt from random searches at the gate. If the TSA or the gate agent is attempting to have you go through a gate search, inform them about this. If they continue, document the whole situation.

We need to adopt a zero tolerance policy on this type of harrassment. I've had it happen to me multiple times and I am now documenting it.

Sure as you write down names, numbers, etc; the TSA still will make you jump through their hoops and now you spend 30 - 45 minutes for something that should have taken only 10.

Now if more people speak up then maybe something will happen.

I was coming back from SFO and some guy in front of me was selected for security check. TSA said that the airline selected him for random check.

Anyone have info on this?

Haz-Mat - 1
TSA - 0

The other night i was out with some buddies having a beer or 3, and there was this guy, probably in his early 30's kinda plump and dancing like Flash Dance... and he's the only guy on the floor, well we're watching him, laughing and all, well a few minutes another guy gets on the floor and they're dancing around, Techno music, so not grinding or anything, but just dancing near eachother... so its funny and all, and the next day i was jumping out.. and guess who is the TSA that asks me to take off my shoes and belt.... Mr. Suave himself!! So as i am standing on those feet matts, i look up, and said, your a pretty good dancer.. he looked up at me surprised, and just said, all right your all set have a good day... Couldnt stop laughing all day.

Jumped yesterday in uniform from SAN to SMF yesterday on Southwest, and had to return to the ticket counter for a pass through security. I was running late, so I didn't stop to inquire. However, when I returned from SMF today (no pass required in SMF) I stopped and talked with Lieutenant TSA guy in SAN. He strongly denied that it was TSA's doing, that it was mandated from Southwest. Anybody know if this is true or not, it sounded like was he was trying to pass the buck. A lot of TSA blaming the airlines and airlines blaming the TSA. I would like more info to fight this dumb and inefficent policies. Thanks for any info, I plan on talking with my jumpseat coordinator as well. Later

It is not system wide, and IF it is suppose to be then they are not doing a very good job. I use my 135 company photo ID and have had absolutely 0 (no) problems whatsoever in PIT and other airports. They look and that is about it, seems like lotsa people working the screening lines that should not be there.... I have had absolutely no questions asked about who I fly for, what is 135, where, etc, etc, etc, I guess they see photo, employee number, date of hire, etc, and that is enough...

Only problem I that I had was in IND last month and thanks to a contracted out agent I missed my flight back home. What a bonehead and then caused a confrontation, etc, etc, .. 30minutes later after standing in line to get a pass I then proceeded through and ended up missing my flight. Of all the "problem" airports it sure seems that there are plenty of ego maniacs in IND so needless to say we didn't quite click.:D :D

go figure

3 5 0

TSA: Take your Shoes off A-sshole

Latest resources

Back