TSA and non-working crew

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

densoo

Workers who intend to travel as a passenger, including as a space available passenger for personal or business purposes, must undergo screening at the security screening checkpoint and submit the items intended to be taken onboard the aircraft for screening. This requirement applies to all airline employees and vendors, including those who work a shift in a sterile area or SIDA before the flight. There are no exceptions to this requirement except for crew members or mechanics working a particular flight or deadheading to an assignment. The TSA can assess fines to individuals of up to $10,000 and can fine the company up to $25,000 for each violation.
Has anyone else seen this one or a new TSA directive on this?

Sounds like only operating or deadheading crew can bypass the 3 oz rule, shoes off, etc, now. Will have to screen even if on a positive space ticket going to annual sim evals.

May be a result of the non-working crewmember bypassing security on employee bus awhile back while travelling non-rev.

How would they be verifying if you are working the flight or not? Are you going to be required to carry your bid with you at all times now? Just seems like more of the TSA turning their backs at the real issues and going after crew's because they know most wont complain in fear of disciplnary action.

I've been dealing with these jokers and their quirks long enough to have it down to a science. I had a secondary screen while jumpseating to work in uniform. He actually told me he was going to pat down my crotch. The fact that he did it with the back of his hands didn't make me feel any better either. Next time I'll be requesting the "female assist".

Well, what about if you are jumpseating out of an airport that your particular airline doesn't serve? Think they'd be smart enough to figure that out?

On a side note, jumpseating out of LUV the other day, I got selected for "random" security screening. Printed my security document from the kiosk in the terminal. Not sure if that made a difference, but I've never had all the SSSSSSSSSS's when I've printed them at home or gotten them last minute at the counter. Lame. Full uniform--got the full treatment and all my electronic stuff got the full bomb swipe check.

How are they suppose to know who is deadheading, non-reving, etc? If you are in uniform with your ID and don't set the metel detector off then you should be free to go. I commute out of an airport my company does not fly out of to ORD and have never had a problem at either end.
I just came out of MIA after recurrent and had no problem through security with all my crap. I was in uniform and did not present the ticket my company had for me.

Still seems like each airport is managed by the TSA on an individual basis. Jumpseating out of SLC or PDX I could get through in uniform or not with just my company ID. We served the cargo side of those airports, but I wouldn't expect them to know that.

My airline doesn't serve my home town and I've never (5 years) had a problem with liquids etc., as long as I'm in uniform. By the way, the agents can cross out the SSSSSS's thereby waiving the selectee status. Some of them don't care enough to help you out. It just makes commuting so much more fun.

I thought this story was great - from the Continental Pilot Forums:

The last time I went through the Staff Line in London, they took the time to squirt a sample of each and every item in my ‘Liquids and Jells’ baggie on to a paper towel. Then they tested each sample for explosive residue. I’m not kidding! I just stood there shaking my head.

The trip before that, they took everything out of my FLIGHT BAG! Everything! I found stuff I haven’t seen in years. Pins, pencils, manuals, charts, flash light, absolutely everything. After inspecting each and every item, the agent placed everything in a tray. When they were done the agent didn’t say a thing, she just shoved the tray towards me. I was annoyed, so I told her, “You took it out; you can put it back”.
Wrong thing to say. She just started cramming all my crap back in the bag with total disregard, while staring at me the entire time.

I am constantly pulled aside for secondary screening IN THE CREW LINE in London.
Ten out of the last ten times, in fact. However, I think I know why. It all started several months ago.

You see, I’m recovering from a medical condition and I had a separate baggie with my prescription medicine in my luggage (all pills, in there original prescription bottles). During x-ray, they spotted my medicine baggie and I was pulled aside for a bag check. While rummaging through my suitcase, the security agent held up my baggie for all to see and spouted loudly for all to hear, “And what is this for?” My response; “Those pills keep me from asking stupid questions. Want some?”

Wrong thing to say (again). I was asked to step aside while they called their supervisor. When he arrived the agents’ spoke to him in private and then he came over to me and announced, for all to hear “We take security very seriously here, we will not tolerate disorderly conduct. I CAN HAVE YOU ARRESTED.”
I could see where this was going, so I did not reply. However, I did grab my phone and I took his picture. He looked at me with a surprised look on his face as I pretended to dial the phone. He was speechless. I continued the charade of the fake phone call by saying, “Hello, this is Captain Meyer, I just want you to know that you will have to cancel flight 5 today from London to Houston. I am being arrested at the security checkpoint.”
The supervisor had a look of terror on his face as he waved his hands, as if to ward off the impending doom (and paperwork). This was too easy, so I tweaked him a little further. “No, I didn’t. The charge? Disorderly conduct. Plus they don’t think I should have any medicine in my suitcase.”
At this point the supervisor is screaming into my phone, “He’s not under arrest, he can proceed to his flight!” I looked at him as I told my dead phone, “Well now he changed his mind. He says I can take my flight now, but I think I’m way too upset to fly. You’ll still have to cancel the flight.” “No, I don’t know his name, but I’ll send you his picture.” The room was like an E.F. Hutton commercial. Dead silence. Eyes wide open.
Then I said into my dead phone, “I’m sorry my decision is final.” And I hung up.
Looking up at the supervisor I said, “Do you mind if I go tell the passengers why their flight is canceled?" He just stood there in shock as I gathered my belongings and walked away.

The other two pilots were trying their best to keep a straight face. We all had a good laugh after we rounded the corner.

I thought this story was great - from the Continental Pilot Forums:

The last time I went through the Staff Line in London, they took the time to squirt a sample of each and every item in my ‘Liquids and Jells’ baggie on to a paper towel. Then they tested each sample for explosive residue. I’m not kidding! I just stood there shaking my head.

The trip before that, they took everything out of my FLIGHT BAG! Everything! I found stuff I haven’t seen in years. Pins, pencils, manuals, charts, flash light, absolutely everything. After inspecting each and every item, the agent placed everything in a tray. When they were done the agent didn’t say a thing, she just shoved the tray towards me. I was annoyed, so I told her, “You took it out; you can put it back”.
Wrong thing to say. She just started cramming all my crap back in the bag with total disregard, while staring at me the entire time.

I am constantly pulled aside for secondary screening IN THE CREW LINE in London.
Ten out of the last ten times, in fact. However, I think I know why. It all started several months ago.

You see, I’m recovering from a medical condition and I had a separate baggie with my prescription medicine in my luggage (all pills, in there original prescription bottles). During x-ray, they spotted my medicine baggie and I was pulled aside for a bag check. While rummaging through my suitcase, the security agent held up my baggie for all to see and spouted loudly for all to hear, “And what is this for?” My response; “Those pills keep me from asking stupid questions. Want some?”

Wrong thing to say (again). I was asked to step aside while they called their supervisor. When he arrived the agents’ spoke to him in private and then he came over to me and announced, for all to hear “We take security very seriously here, we will not tolerate disorderly conduct. I CAN HAVE YOU ARRESTED.”
I could see where this was going, so I did not reply. However, I did grab my phone and I took his picture. He looked at me with a surprised look on his face as I pretended to dial the phone. He was speechless. I continued the charade of the fake phone call by saying, “Hello, this is Captain Meyer, I just want you to know that you will have to cancel flight 5 today from London to Houston. I am being arrested at the security checkpoint.”
The supervisor had a look of terror on his face as he waved his hands, as if to ward off the impending doom (and paperwork). This was too easy, so I tweaked him a little further. “No, I didn’t. The charge? Disorderly conduct. Plus they don’t think I should have any medicine in my suitcase.”
At this point the supervisor is screaming into my phone, “He’s not under arrest, he can proceed to his flight!” I looked at him as I told my dead phone, “Well now he changed his mind. He says I can take my flight now, but I think I’m way too upset to fly. You’ll still have to cancel the flight.” “No, I don’t know his name, but I’ll send you his picture.” The room was like an E.F. Hutton commercial. Dead silence. Eyes wide open.
Then I said into my dead phone, “I’m sorry my decision is final.” And I hung up.
Looking up at the supervisor I said, “Do you mind if I go tell the passengers why their flight is canceled?" He just stood there in shock as I gathered my belongings and walked away.

The other two pilots were trying their best to keep a straight face. We all had a good laugh after we rounded the corner.

LMFAO :laugh:

Latest resources

Back