• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

Reuters
UPDATE - Shares of JetBlue, others drop sharply on warning
Friday December 5, 4:35 pm ET

(Recasts, adds detail, closing stock prices)
NEW YORK, Dec 5 (Reuters) - An uncharacteristic earnings warning from JetBlue Airways Corp. (NasdaqNM:JBLU - News) spooked investors on Friday, driving its stock down 18 percent and pulling share prices in the rest of the low-cost airline sector lower.

JetBlue's stock, a favored but pricey pick on Wall Street, posted its largest-ever one-day percentage loss during the session, and closed down $5.58 to $25.80 in active trade on the Nasdaq, where it was the net loss leader.

Nearly all lower-cost, regional carriers traded sharply lower on Friday, and shares of major U.S. airlines dropped as well, on new fears that fourth-quarter revenue will disappoint.

The low-cost sector losses were led by JetBlue and America West Holdings (NYSE:AWA - News), which was down 14 percent.

New York-based JetBlue said late on Thursday that lower air fares and the recent California wildfires would push its fourth-quarter operating margin down to between 13 percent and 14 percent, compared with the 15 percent to 17 percent it had previously projected.

In the third quarter, JetBlue's margins hit nearly 20 percent, a level almost unheard of in the struggling U.S. airline industry.

"We're faced with a challenging revenue environment due to capacity additions resulting in lower average fares, particularly in our western markets," Chief Executive David Neeleman said in a statement.

JP Morgan analyst Jamie Baker said in a research note that JetBlue's outlook could have consequences across the low-cost carrier segment.

Lehman Brothers analyst Gary Chase said the JetBlue announcement and signals of some weakness from low-cost pioneer Southwest Airlines (NYSE:LUV - News) caused him to cut estimates and stock price targets on most of the companies he follows.

"While we had hoped for significant strength in the holiday period, it now appears that the industry is less confident in current revenue trends," Chase said.

Shares of airlines across the board have plunged this week, in reaction to the drop in confidence and news that oil prices are likely to stay high.

Regional airlines America West (NYSE:AWA - News) fell 13.7 percent to close at $11.91, while AirTran Holdings (NYSE:AAI - News) dropped 10 percent to close at $12.05, both on the New York Stock Exchange (News - Websites) . Frontier Airlines (NasdaqNM:FRNT - News) dropped 8.7 percent to close at $13.81.

Southwest also fell, closing down $1.01 at $15.59 on the Big Board.

Lehman's Chase said he now expects JetBlue to earn 16 cents per share in the fourth quarter, down from his earlier forecast of 22 cents.

JP Morgan's Baker also cut his profit estimate for the quarter to 16 cents a share from 23 cents. He is lowering his earnings forecasts to 99 cents a share from $1.10 for 2004 and to $1.25 from $1.33 for 2005.

JetBlue and other airlines were hurt in October when dense smoke shut down San Diego's airport, and Southern California airports were closed for more than 12 hours when a blaze threatened an air traffic control facility near the city. (Additional reporting by Kathy Fieweger)

Now you can also say that the Majors stock prices couldn't fall much lower, and it has been tough on everybody. But, the addition of new LCCs---like Song and TED---will add excess capacity and take away passengers from Jetblue etc because the passengers will get the same price for a ticket, but get other things like better frequent flyer programs, and better IFE. Let's face it---passengers these days want the lower fare and the extras. They get really mad when they look at their onboard meal and say, "What is this?" even though they only paid $59 for the ticket. Airlines have to go out there and offer more for less. But, if your business is only based on low cost domestic travel, you could be stuck. That is where the Majors will do better----there isn't as much competition on INTL routes. For example, Delta can charge whatever they want on some of their INTL routes--like ATL--Munich or ATL--Tokyo because there are businessmen who want convienence and will pay more for saving time. It is good to have more than one side to an airline business, not only a low cost domestic version. But, I don't see Jetblue or Southwest going away anytime soon, but they will have to fight each other, especially when Jetblue gets some of those EMB-190s. Where are they going to put them? On the East or West Coast? Then throw Song 757s in there with 199 seats flying in and out of the NE. How about Spirit? ATA? TED?This is going to get crazy, and the high priced INTL tickets may be the one savior for some of the Majors.....

Bye Bye--General Lee
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

Last edited:
But General Lee : JetBlue had a "earnings warning." How long has it been since Delta had any "earnings?"

Delta has run up 10.4 billion in debt and continues to finance losses at 10% rates. So it cost Delta $1.00 to reduce Jet Blue's earnings by $0.50 and Delta financed the dollar to begin with.

In 2005 those dollars have to be paid back. I'm hoping for a miracle and building a financial life raft since your MEC appears intent on sinking the ship.

~~~^~~~

Fins,

We can argue how we got to that state (buying a lot of RJs for your use), but I won't. We have already cut a lot of the "fat" out, and we (the pilots) are in negotiations to help with our share. A paycut from us will allow the airline to gain access to more of the financial markets, and help refinance that debt at lower rates. As I have said before, debt is ok as long as you can service it. With the strengthening economy comes higher fares and better times. The pension problem you have elluded to often is shrinking with the higher stockmarket and interest rates. If the economy was still tanking, I would be a lot more worried. As far as when will we have profits again, you probably know that profits are just an opinion. Arthur Anderson had lots of opinions on that subject. Yes, since Enron things have changed a bit, but numerous "one time charges" all bundled up now make things look bad. Last Summer we had a couple months of operating profits, and the bad Fall season that we knew was coming is over, and the holidays have started off well, with a good Spring and Summer ahead of us.

The Dalpa MEC employs an Investment Bank and numerous other specialized people who have looked at the Delta books and made decisions on the amount of money Delta NEEDS, not what they WANT. We also won't give up money to buy you more RJs. Nope. (Your CASM is a lot higher than ours--we need bigger jets flying some of your routes) Any money we give up will hopefully go to helping with the debt, and not lining management's pockets either. It was interesting seeing that statement in the recent Dalpa proposal to the company, "Career protection within Delta/DCI brand." What does that mean???

Anyways, the whole point of this thread was to question "What happens when all of the LCCs start fighting eachother, and will there be any profits to be found with the large discounted tickets." I stated that Delta and other Majors luckily have another outlet which does not have a lot of stiff competition, and that is the INTL arena. I was looking ahead to the future of the LCCs and what might happen.

Bye Bye--General Lee:rolleyes: ;) :cool:

Last edited:
ATA- Who?

Once again ATA gets left out of the dialog. ATA went against the trend and their stock closed up today at $9.75 a share. Up 2.02% today. Just out of curiosity I checked the one year performance of the stock. Up approximately 69% since 12/01/02.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree, General. As someone else pointed out- decreased earnings are just that- decreased. That's a far cry from losing money.

If fares ever get to the point where the LCC's are losing money in the long-term, you can bet that the majors will have been relegated to the LA Brea tar pits of history.

---like Song and TED---will add excess capacity and take away passengers from Jetblue etc because the passengers will get the same price for a ticket

Most likely those passengers flying on Song and Ted are cannibalized from Delta's and United's mainline operations.

Regarding those wonderful mileage programs. Most passengers have already realized the cards are stacked against them when redeeming those mileage points.

Gen Lee.

Leo's got his 16 million and you guys are left holding the bag of debt ( from all those RJ's of course).

Who got screwed ??

One more question. Is mainline going to submit an RFP for those 45 RJ's ??

Ok, I will try to answer all of those:

R985,

If you look at my first response after I put the article up, three lines up from the bottom, I put ATA in there. I know they are a good LCC.

Drunkirishman,

The RJs aren't the "magic answer" either. We lose customers who feel uncomfortable on them on long flights (DFW--OAK or DCA--DFW), and now that jetblue or Airtran will start overlapping them and start charging super low fares, we don't have enough seats to cover the costs. RJs aren't the cure-all. Sure, they gave us market presence when we needed it, but now we need larger airplanes to spread out the costs. A lot of our current debt is due to current RJs we are still getting, but the kicker is that our guys in ATL worked out such a deal---that if we say no to them now, we will actually take more of a hit because we got them in a "quantity" deal. So, we still have to take the ones we bought. Why is Delta asking for 45 more (not from Comair or ASA probably)? Good question.

Ty,

Yes, I would rather have decreased earnings than losses. Who wouldn't? My question was what will happen when there is such a large amount of LCC's all fighting with eachother, and what will that due to future profits? You have noted many times that our costs will have to come down, and we are doing just that. We have 2500 less pilots than pre-9-11, and 16,000 less total employees, more Kiosks, etc..... Your costs at Airtran will eventually go up, like you pilot pay costs---you said it yourself--you will be making more coming up here. I, as it looks like today, will be making less. The LCCs are not keeping their costs the same, but they are increasing theirs too. Southwest pilots pay is getting really good, and the other employees (like the flight attendants) want more too. Do you see my point? More LCCs and more cheap seats will not help your future profit margins. I just said that the INTL side of the Majors is not really faced with that right now.

RJCAP,

Yeah, the $16 million Leo got stung, but I think we will be better off. As far as Song and TED taking prime mainline routes, I disagree. I still think the prime money out there is at the hubs. We all know that people in the big cities want cheap fares and nonstop service. So, we made Song to take those cheap people nonstop and left seats open for people who have to go through ATL or CVG to get to somewhere that doesn't have LCC service. All those people you fly into ATL on your RJ are paying a little more or a premium to fly through ATL and connect onto that 767-400 to FLL or MCO. Therefore, the seats at the hubs are worth more. We don't want those people who want the cheap fares in BOS, for example, to use that premium seat in ATL to go onto FLL---we want it to be sold to that person you just flew in from Peoria. It will cost that person a little more. So, that cheapo in BOS flies on Song, likes the IFE, and comes back again and again, and stays out of ATL. Also, Song only flies two flights a day out of ATL(to JFK), and then avoids CVG and ATL. TED, on the otherhand, will be fighting Frontier's presence directly at the hub in DEN, and will be cannibalizing some of their own United mainline routes already established from DEN---like to PHX, RNO, and FLL for example. Song keeps those expensive seats at the hubs.

Also, I don't think mainline is doing the RFP for those RJs.

Bye Bye--General Lee;) :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Im not certain that the FLASH of the LCC will LAST. It certainly has for Southwest, but Jetblue is yet to be seen. How long will the forced "fun" flying last on Jetblue? Do you see passengers saying "Quit making jokes, and lets go". I can see that happening. I can also see now with projected economic increases that people will once again be flying from high fared airports rather than driving the distance to a lower fare carrier served airport. The song product seems to be a good product thus far, and also allowing passengers to earn miles or use miles while flying to airports not served by that portion. Just some thoughts...

DrinksweetTea,

I don't think low fares will ever become out of style, and there will always be a portion of the flying public that will only fly for the lowest fare. As the economy gets better, the business section will fly more, and they will help with our bottom line. The Internet has also been a huge factor, and one that will probably be there in the future. But, it has helped us cut costs in the reservations department. Those that were very cost concious after 9-11 or when the economy was tanking, may not drive an extra hour to JFK to pick up that cheaper flight. And, now that cheaper flight can be found on other airlines, even ones that are closer to them.

Bye Bye--General Lee;) :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back