Trivia...Word and Phrase Origins

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HighSpeedClimb said:
NO JOY NO JOY Where did it come from, anyone have an idea? Come on Military guys, you are the ones that usually use it..

I read once where this dates back to the beginnng of WWI when the gunners or pillots would spot an enemy and then shot it down would later describe the events as "joyfull"...or they were full of "joy" at a kill.

Hence when no target was in sight or sighted the phrase "no joy" came into play when they returned with out joy or elation at a victory.

Four Strings said:
The Real McCoy

During prohibition a man named William McCoy was smuggling alcohol from the islands in the Caribbean. During that time others were mixing various alcohols such as rubbing alcohol with soda, etc to mask the taste (supposedly the origin of the mixed drink). If you were buying alcohol on the black market you would ask if it was “The Real McCoy” and not a bottle of rum filled with rubbing alcohol.

I heard that the "real mccoy" referred to a lubricating mechanism on steam engines that was patented by a guy named McCoy. I think it was on the history channel.

HighSpeedClimb said:
NO JOY NO JOY Where did it come from, anyone have an idea? Come on Military guys, you are the ones that usually use it..
I already posted it above. It's a brevity code meaning "I have been unsuccessful". Comes from the same list as chicken choker and all that other stuff.

"No joy" doesn't bother me as much as hearing someone say "I've got him on the fishfinder". I don't know who the first guy to use that phrase was, but I hope someone digs him up and punches him in the "bread basket"...

Anyone know why an enemy plane is called a "bogey"?

flyboyike said:
FU CK

In medieval England you needed the King's permission for dang near everything, including copulation. The equivalent of the "Do Not Disturb" sign back then actually read "Fornication Under Consent of the King". No, this is not a joke.

Another derivation of this term was when a gentleman was arrested for engaging in sexual acts with a prostitute, he was arrested For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge.

Dilligaff

cheyflyer said:
What about "Turn In The Barrel" such as "not me...its your turn in the barrel this week".
Supposedly referring to a custom practiced during the era of sailing ships, wherein one of the more "fey" members of the crew positioned himself into a barrel into which holes had been cut at strategic locations. Other crewmembers, no doubt feeling the strain of many weeks or months at sea, would place their...ahem..."male members" into the hole for the occasional relief. The purpose of the barrel was to impart some degree of anonymity to the person inside, although I'm sure that even a cursory "head count" would have revealed who was "on duty" that particular night.

Whether the story is true or not, I do not know. However, it DID factor heavily into my decision to choose service in the Air Force over the Navy.

Dilligaff said:
Someone explained Bogeys a few pages back.

Maybe next time I should actually "READ" the thread before posting... :0

Ok here's one that's not aviation related: Why is the money you leave a waitress called a "tip"?

Latest resources

Back