Trivia...Word and Phrase Origins

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SH!T

From what I've heard, in the early days of the colonies, they used to ship cow manure from Europe to use as fertilizer in the lowest part of the ship (for smell suppression). As they sailed west to the new world someone would go to the lower deck to retrieve something in the hold and of course they would need to take a lantern to see in the dark. All of the gas from the manure would have built up by then and when the flame and the gas came in contact an explosion would occur.

So, after a few times of this happening, they learned that the manure needed to be well ventilated. Placarded on the side of each container of manure had the words

Ship
High
In
Transit

Take it for what its worth, probably just a joke, but it sounded good to me.

FU CK

In medieval England you needed the King's permission for dang near everything, including copulation. The equivalent of the "Do Not Disturb" sign back then actually read "Fornication Under Consent of the King". No, this is not a joke.

flyboyike said:
FU CK

In medieval England you needed the King's permission for dang near everything, including copulation. The equivalent of the "Do Not Disturb" sign back then actually read "Fornication Under Consent of the King". No, this is not a joke.

Sorry but that IS a joke and it is not true.

No one really knows where that word comes from, but the most credible evidence comes from the German word ficken which means to rub or strike.

I bet you think Mr. Rogers was a decorated war veteran with an arm covered in tatoo's. Thats why he wore sweaters all the time. :rolleyes:

I was in Powell's Books in PDX and found The Dictionary of Idioms. Great bathroom reading. Has origins and meanings of every saying you can think of.

Dangerkitty said:
I bet you think Mr. Rogers was a decorated war veteran with an arm covered in tatoo's. Thats why he wore sweaters all the time. :rolleyes:

Who the FU CK is Mr Rogers?;)

Gorilla; Absolutely correct about the cannon ball "monkey". Also the scuttlebutt is the correct term for the water cask on deck for the hands, which carries over to the water cooler of the modern day office, or its evolved equivalent.

The Crapper

American doughboys, passing thru England on their way to the front during WW1 noticed the inscription "T.Crapper-Chelsea" on the porcelain tanks on trains. These tanks were part of Thomas Crapper's "Siphonic waste discharge" system, for which he held 6 patents. Apparently, the doughboys coined the word "crapper" for the entire system.

Latest resources

Back