Tricks of the Trade

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
LJDRVR said:
C to F; Temperature X 2 + 30 minus 2 degrees. (25C 25 X 2 = 50 + 30 = 80 - 2 = 78F)
Maybe I'm missing the obvious here, but instead of adding 30 and subtracting 2, wouldn't it be easier just to add 28 to start with instead of 30? Or are you just using 30 to make it simpler to add in the ole tired head?

Anyways, great idea for a post! I personally have been trying to figure out a SIMPLE C to F conversion for a long time. This one is great!

Thanks...

unreal

When I use to fly the Chieftains and Senecas, we would lead a 90 degree turn onto a radial by using 1% of our groundspeed. Ex. 150 kts= 1.5 miles to lead the turn. That seemed to work pretty well. Going 200 kts and leading it by 1 mile isn't gonna cut it unless you use greater than standard rate.

Another C to F is C*2, subtract 10%, then add 30. ex, C=25, 25*2=50, less 5=45, plus 30 = 75. Easier for me to do in my head.

This is a great thread. It's all those things that we learn, and forget because we don't use them that much, or they become instinctive, and we forgot why.

I like this technique

LJDRVR said:
If accepting a clearance to a fix not currently programmed in the box, ask for an initial heading from ATC. Provides you with a bit of TLAR to prevent GNE with your programming, and gets the jet moving toward the correct fix with the onus of responsibility placed on the controller while the two of you go heads down and try to program the fix then select the appropriate LNAV. Especially useful if you're flying an older non user friendly box that requires more keystrokes.

European ATC does this *ALL* the time.

I usually tell them it's not on our flight plan and then I have another sip of coffee while they find one that *is* on our flight plan.

But this technique is much more professional. Next time I'm in a good mood I'll try it.

Thanks.

atrdriver said:
Another C to F is C*2, subtract 10%, then add 30. ex, C=25, 25*2=50, less 5=45, plus 30 = 75. Easier for me to do in my head.
This is the one I use, except change the 30 to 32 and you're dead-nuts on.

LJDRVR said:
Keep em' coming folks; technique, ROT, it's all good!

If accepting a clearance to a fix not currently programmed in the box, ask for an initial heading from ATC. Provides you with a bit of TLAR to prevent GNE with your programming, and gets the jet moving toward the correct fix with the onus of responsibility placed on the controller while the two of you go heads down and try to program the fix then select the appropriate LNAV.

Such a good tip. I resolved to do this everytime, after I had difficulty. ATC changed my route, said go to here, not even an identifier, just a name, and I had to look everything up, change everything. Ever since then, I ask for vector, identifier, frequency.

sleddriver71 said:
unreal

When I use to fly the Chieftains and Senecas, we would lead a 90 degree turn onto a radial by using 1% of our groundspeed. Ex. 150 kts= 1.5 miles to lead the turn. That seemed to work pretty well. Going 200 kts and leading it by 1 mile isn't gonna cut it unless you use greater than standard rate.

Ah okay. That probably works better. My suggestion works pretty well in light aircraft such as C172s and PA44s, but you've got me on anything faster.

I never take my eyes off the gear lights until I have 3 green. Then when I go to full flaps I recheck 3 green. Or if on a low ILS when I break out, check 3 green.

Also, never have the triple enchilada dinner with extra chili sauce the night before an all day trip.

Brett Hull said:
This is the one I use, except change the 30 to 32 and you're dead-nuts on.

Yeah, I should have said 32.

Latest resources

Back