Tricks of the Trade

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
LAFrequentflyer said:
Cruise altitude for a short flight? Take the distance in NM, drop the last digit and add 5. (167 NM leg = 16 + 5 = FL210, rounded up or down as appropriate for ATC purposes.)
That works well for some airplanes. Other airplanes you can "double the distance". (160 mile leg X 2 = FL320) You'll get an altitude that, if ATC cooperates, will be the most fuel & time efficient. Some airplanes climb well (20 Series Lears of example) and 2.5 times the distance works well.

The method that I use to covert C to F and vise-versa is a little simpler: C to F = (2 X C) + 30. F to C = (F - 30) divided by 2. It's not quite as precise as other methods, but it's close enough for what we have to do - and our performance charts are based on Celsius.

For descents (back before VNAV :) ) it was 3 times the altitude for the descent point and 6 times the ground speed for the descent rate. It worked like a charm - no buffer required.

'Sled

I thought you were talking about getting a job...I was gonna suggest cash and beer... ;)

Eric

-To know how much to lead a 90 degree turn onto a radial:

Groundspeed / 2, then divide by 100. Example:

200 knot groundspeed. 200 / 2 = 100. 100 / 100 = 1. Start your turn to the radial 1.0 DME before the fix.

-Approximate vertical speed on an ILS:

Groundspeed / 2, then multiply by 10. Example:

150 knots on an ILS. 150 / 2 = 75. 75 x 10 = 750. Approximately 750 fpm descent on the ILS. Of course, that's just a basic reference. Not like you should be staring at your VSI on the way down the glideslope anyway...

Thanks! LJDRVR

Yea… I should know that. I’ve flown in there a few times. We even have a pilot base in VXV, Knoxville (not bases there myself though). lol…

Tricks of the Trade huh?

Flying an IFR approach in IMC I’ll call out the MSA right off the Jepp chart while passing threw it, both as the pilot flying and non-pilot flying. i.e “MSA 3200ft” while the aircraft is passing threw 3200ft. I only do this if I’m in IMC or night and poor visibility

In a transport citatory airplane, I’ll set the MDA bug 1,000ft above field elevation. (in reference for acceleration altitude). Only if it doesn’t interfere with the aircraft profile.
This is actually SOP for our company in the CRJ.

Kind of the same thing: If it’s clear and a million, I’ll set the MDA bug 1,000ft above field elevation for the approach. Our SOP says we need to be “fully configured and stabilized before 1,000ft field elevation,

If flying out of an airport below class B airspace, or operating near, I’ll put a 30nm fix in the FMS around the class B airport. Reminds me not to fly with a “led foot” under class B, above 200 KIAS.

If it gets really bumpy for a while I’ll lower the temp in the back cabin. I’ve found this helps prevent airsickness for some passengers.

("Direct Volunteer is in the box.".... "O.K., Direct Volunteer.") Yea… now that I think about it we do the same thing. Any major change in the FSM we have the pilot making the change challenge the other pilot: “ blaa blaa blaa (whatever the change is) ‘confirm” Then the other pilot says, “execute” (confirming that change).

Of course monitoring 121.5 while airborne
Nothing really new…

Every 60 kts is 1 mile per minute, 120 kts is 2 miles a minutes, divide speed by 60 and gets miles covered per minute, reverse measure miles covered in 6 minutes and multiply by 10 for ground speed. Likewise measure how many miles covered in 36 seconds and multiply by 100 and get ground speed. Measure elevation of the North Star and it will give your latitude in the northern hemisphere.

Time of acquiring IFR clearance + 2 hours - 5 minutes = when pax finally show up.

Importance of personal business/# of other pilots available = likelyhood of ASAP "popup' trip.

#10 - Correct time to Lower GearPreferably before coming into contact with the runway surface.EX: 1000 TPA, you descend on base, turn final, cross threshold and land with your gear still in the up position.
Thats the one I've been trying to figure out all these years, thanks!

BSeals71 said:
Flying an IFR approach in IMC I’ll call out the MSA right off the Jepp chart while passing threw it, both as the pilot flying and non-pilot flying. i.e “MSA 3200ft” while the aircraft is passing threw 3200ft. I only do this if I’m in IMC or night and poor visibility

I'm pretty sure that would drive me insane.

Latest resources

Back