• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Travel Guitar?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I tried about 6 different models, but they all sounded so-so at best.

I went with the Alvarez MF80C. This is not the Yari/Japanese Alvarez, but it still sounds great for a smaller guitar. In fact, I play it a lot when I'm not even on the road. With a soft case it does fit in the overhead on the CRJ. Great electronics, plays really well.

Reviews

Video (BTW, he's wrong. The "C" at the end means it is a cutaway)

Bought mine on ebay for $400 with some slight blemishes.

I take a Washburn Rover (acoustic). Nothing is going to sound as good as a full body but this little guy packs a punch. The best thing you can do is just go to a store and play them. I'll take the Rover over a Martin Backpacker any day. Several people in my company take them on the overnites and yes they do fit in the overheads. :)

I've been traveling with a Speedster (made by Traveler Guitar) for about 4 years now. It is easily portable and has held up very well! Playability is decent as long as you attach the teardrop shaped armrest. The 24 3/4 scale length is a good compromise and the action can be run low. Tuning can be a little finicky due to the wrap around bridge, but not bad overall. I beat up the gig bag and recently ordered a new one direct from the company..... I received great customer service. I run it into a Korg Pandora's Box and into earphones. You can plug an MP3 player into the Pandora's Box and play along with your favorite tunes without annoying the person in the room next to you.

If the teardrop armrest of the Speedster isn't your thing, check out the Escape series by Traveler Guitar. You can find a Les Paul or Strat shaped body and the scale lengths vary from 24 3/4 to 25 1/2 depending on the model. Additionally, headphones can be plugged directly into the guitar. The size and weight to up a bit on these compared to a Speedster.

Traveler SG1 (or eg1?) is great. I ditched my backpacker for the traveler. It's electric so you're not going to have your neighbors throwing their shoes at your wall.

http://www.rainsong.com/models/ws1000.asp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGkKkHMPf3k&feature=related

Rather than worry about size, I worry about what humidity and temperature changes are doing to any wooden instrument you hit the road with. I go out and play in the parks (or find an abandoned conference room) to avoid shoes thrown at the wall. The side benefit is that on a bad day I make enough to pay for lunch. On a good day, the whole crew eats for free.

When I asked about a case for mine, the manufacturer rep said "just bolt a handle to it." It is tough and so incredibly stable. Never goes out of tune, intonation is spot on, perfect for alternative tunings, better resonance than wood and you could use it as a boat paddle, pull it out of the water and play it.

The guy in the video does not have his set up right IMHO, but you get the idea.

NERD ALERT - here's the best set up I've seen and David is who turned me on to these for a travel / gigging set up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWdF_CPXngw

Last edited:
I remember the night before OE started for me when I first got hired. I had to get up at 0500 and some knucklehead in the room next to me was playing the guitar at around midnight. It didn't sit too well with me. I threw my shoe at the wall, but it didn't seem to help

You should have called the room and pretended like you were the FBI and were going to arrest him for pirating Titanic that one time.

I bought a piece of sh$t electric guitar at a garage sale for $5.00 and cut down the body as much as possible. I jack it through a cheap korg pandoras box wich has numerous cool effects and sounds, and also has a earphone jack. Sounds pretty good and u dont have to worry about waking anyone up! The box is very small and lightweight.

Latest resources

Back