Travel Guitar?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bsh932

Do any of you bring a guitar along on overnights? I am looking for something that will be good for passing time in the hotel and getting some practice. I know there are quite a few on the market such as the Martin Backpacker, just wanted some advice from anybody that travels with a guitar. Thanks

I heard a guy playing a Backpacker the other day in DCA-sounded like a cigar box with strings.I would tend to think a 3/4 scale solid body would be more sturdy for taking to work.

I remember the night before OE started for me when I first got hired. I had to get up at 0500 and some knucklehead in the room next to me was playing the guitar at around midnight. It didn't sit too well with me. I threw my shoe at the wall, but it didn't seem to help

Baby Taylor. Small, sounds great.

If you have ever watched the show "Shark Tank", a guy invented a guitar that would fold in half...and stayed in perfect tune when it was opened up. Looked like it would be perfect for travel.

Can't remember the name but you could prob dig up some shark tank shows and find some info.

It really depends on you. Talk to several people and try what they are carrying. The Backpacker is relatively cheap, light, and it's acoustic. I also play harmonica (w/ neck holder) so acoustic is important. The downside: I can't play it (or the harps) during 'quiet' hours at the hotel. It sounds alot like an ukulele and the action and playability leave a bit to be desired (even after shaving the bridge. There is no truss rod). Will not cradle in your lap. You HAVE to use the strap.

I also have a Hohner G3T (Steinberger GT-Pro Standard). It's slightly smaller but heavier than the Martin. You have to have an amplifier of some type. I use the Epiphone Headjammer with earphones/plugs.
Pros: Looks cool and plays great - you can gig with it. 'Never' goes out of tune. Fold out rest allows the player to cradle the guitar on lap. Ultra-rugged. (Makes a great defensive weapon or canoe paddle and stays in tune). With headphones, you can play as loud as you want anywhere, anytime.
Cons: Heavier. Cost. Need for an amp. 'Special' strings (but minimal stretching when new).

I've also heard great things about baby Taylors and Tacomas.

Traveler Speedster

Check out the Speedster, made by Traveler guitar. It's an electric guitar with part of the stock that's removable. It has a full size neck and dual pickups to eliminate noise. You need some sort of amplification for it. I have used a battery powered mini marshal amp (about 4" square), or a Tascam CD player with built in effects. It fits nicely in the cockpit, and most people don't really know what it is. I used to get some strange comments when I was carrying around my full size Strat. I know several other people who carry these as well; they seem to hold up well to the rigors of our job. I am probably going to sell mine; send me a PM if you're interested. You can play one at Guitar Center or most guitar shops.

Beer30?

Latest resources

Back