travel guitar

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dollacrackho

Can anyone recommend a decent travel guitar. I don't want to spend a bunch of money i just want one that travels well and is decently small so it doesnt look like i'm carrying a violin on my back.

I've got a Martin Back Packer. Not great. I've sanded down the saddle a bunch just to get the action more reasonable, but it's pretty much a 2X4 with strings. It works to keep your fingers limber, though.

I think my next try is going to be a Travel Pro. If I ever get a Travel Job again . . .

I did some research on this a few years ago and bought a traveler guitar. Here is the website:

http://www.travelerguitar.com/

I was impressed by the full size fretboard of the model I bought, which was an electric model called the "Speedster". This is nice so you can practice on a full size fretboard unlike other models out there with a shrunken fretboard. They also make very small amp-device which plugs into the side of it....you plug a headset into this device and it is like listening to a big amp, all right in your hotel room. Not even the maids here a thing, it's awesome.

It has a black soft case it comes with and fits right into the back pocket of my old Purdy Neat Stuff bag. Security gets a kick out of it.

I am just an amateur but a few guys I have flown with are very good guitarists and they tried it out "on the ground..of course"....they were very impressed. I have not regretted that purchase one bit. You may find them up on Ebay....they seem to hold their value very well. Traveler Guitar makes several styles...I haven't tried the others.

I tried at least six different models/brands and finally settled on (for travel) an Alvarez MF80C. You can find used ones under $500. Picked up mine with a small crack for $217 on eBay.

It's a 15/16 that sounds great for a travel guitar and pretty good for a normal one. It has great action and as a bonus is an acoustic-electric with a nice electronics package.

Put it in a soft case and it just barely fits in the overhead of an RJ.

I dont know much about guitars...but I started watching this show called shark tank. They had someone on there that invented a guitar that folded in half. It was made for traveling. It would fold in half and then lock back in place and still be in tune.

Like I said, I dont know much about them but it might be worth looking into.

I have the Martin Backpacker. No truss rod, had to shave the saddle. Sounds kinda like a ukulele but it does the job. OK for practice or to sing Kumbaya around the campfire. I like it because I can also play a harp with it.

I also have a Hohner (Steinberger) GT3 which is smaller but heavier and seems more awkward to carry. It also requires an amp of some type but it's a great guitar. I use a HeadJammer head phone amp. Stays in tune remarkably well. I'd even gig with it but I'd have a backup.

Carrying a guitar while in uniform? No better way to pick up chicks!

Latest resources

Back