Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Princedietrich

Retired Starchecker
I figured I'd throw this one out for the community to debate on, as it seems an interesting subject for anyone who is involved in air carrier training these days.

With the surge of glass cockpit technology these days, and the abundance of technically advanced aircraft being used for training and for pro flying, has anyone had any interesting issues with the transition between glass cockpit and the traditional 6-pack of steam gauges? There are situations coming up frequently where someone who was born and raised in the glass gets a job with nothing but steam gauge airplanes, and they have a heckuva time managing. I've also seen times when someone who is great on the 6-pack gets put into the glass and has trouble coping.

For myself, I've always flown the round dials throughout training, instructing, and freight dawgging. The first time I ever saw a glass cockpit, which was in a 182, I couldn't tell my arse from my elbow and could barely keep a straight line in the darn thing. Granted, after about 10 hours or so practicing with it, I got the hang of it and flew fine. But let me tell ya it was a rough 10 hours.

My experience flying jets went from dials to glass back to dials and then back again to glass. The hardest transition was from glass back to dials, as situational awareness was easy in the glass cockpit, and my scan was much smaller in the glass cockpit. Losing the moving map and expanding my scan took a while to get used to.

Just more of the same, you do what you have to do. Most everything flying has some form of "glass" now, consider yourself lucky to have experience in both environments.

Personally, I switch between multiple versions of glass and steam on a fairly regular basis...it's like changing airplane types. Once you're comfortable with what you're working with, it simply becomes a mental exercise to transition between different brands of glass or between glass and steam.

But it does take some time and effort to learn the system initially.

Fly safe!

David

Just more of the same, you do what you have to do. Most everything flying has some form of "glass" now, consider yourself lucky to have experience in both environments.

The key word being "Most" and no the ADDUs don't count.

I flew a c172 with a Garmin G1000 today, it was an amazing ride compared to the standard c172 with steam gauges. It will take some serious training to take advantage of all it offers.

Give me a Piper Cub with the minimum gauges and I'm happier than a pig in you know what.

Give me a Baron with 300 horse engines. :)

I flew a c172 with a Garmin G1000 today, it was an amazing ride compared to the standard c172 with steam gauges. It will take some serious training to take advantage of all it offers.

Give me a Piper Cub with the minimum gauges and I'm happier than a pig in you know what.

it's Not that hard to learn... Read the book!!!

Well, I know some about the transition back and forth: After 12 years on DC-8s and B-747-200 with old steam gauges and basic Omega/INS systems I switched to glass on the 757/767 some 6 years ago and hard a hard time learning that stuff.
Finally got it and flew 800 hours glass, the gotl laid off and was back on steam. Did that for 3 years, now had my first day back in the glass cockpit, doing re-qual on the 767..:rolleyes:

It was easy enough going back to steam, it was still in the blood. Then reversing to glass again seems to cause some finger trouble with them CDU's.

Funny business, just when flying is getting easy, it gets hard again.

Latest resources

Back