Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Trans States ordered by arbitrator to re-hire terminated union officers, but REFUSE!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TSA Pilot

Its so funny, they thought they would get away with it. Now they are stuck with a back pay bill of nearly $200,000 (approx). I imagine the court will impose additional fines also for failing to follow the arbitrators decision. They thought they could just fire all the union officers and scare anyone from taking a union position, thus weakening the union at Trans States. What morons. I hope he pays big for this one. I could just see DH's face turn red and just about explode when he lost both of those arbitrations. :D

Its sad that the Go-Jet pilots have no idea who they are working for. TA 90% complete? Reality is that most contracts get right there and halt for years and years. Hulas has you right where he wants you, there is no way he is gonna sign a contract with you any time soon.

---------------
June 7, 2006
Trans States Management Ignores Arbitration Decisions
ALPA Files Suit to Reinstate Pilots

WASHINGTON DC -- The Air Line Pilots, Association, Int’l (ALPA) filed suit in U.S. District Court in St. Louis on Monday to force Trans States Airlines (TSA) management to comply with arbitrators’ rulings in two separate cases in which management wrongfully terminated TSA pilots.

“This lawsuit puts Trans States management on notice: We will challenge any efforts to undermine the grievance process,” says Capt. Duane Woerth, president of ALPA.

In March, an arbitrator ruled that Captain Sergio Cvetanovic, who was terminated in 2004, should be reinstated immediately and awarded a majority of his back pay. In May, an arbitrator ordered Trans States management to reinstate union official Captain Paul Hopkins and awarded him full back pay, citing three separate reasons to overturn Capt. Hopkins’ unjust termination in 2005. The company has refused to comply with the decisions of the arbitrators.

“We worked very hard to overturn management’s abuse of power, and these arbitration awards are final and binding,” says Captain Dario Miranda, head of the Trans States branch of ALPA, “and Trans States management is contractually and ethically bound to honor them. The company’s refusal to honor the awards is baseless, and we will pursue all legal avenues to ensure the company complies with these awards.”

In 2005, Trans States management targeted five ALPA officials, including Capt. Hopkins, for firing. Grievances were filed in all cases. One officer was reinstated without arbitration, and three cases are pending.

Last edited:
Seems normal at TSH to throw dollars after dimes.

It seems alot of things they do, if they just did it the right way in the first place would be cheaper. I'm sure by the time they make the g0jet/tsa pilot groups one list it will be proven cheaper to have just done it that way in the first place.

Reminds me of that issue over at PanAm a while back. Where the captain refused to fly past 16 hours and was fired. Ordered to give his job back but PanAm refused. and ALPA had to bring two different lawsuits against PanAm, the second time the court imposed a dialy fine.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/2002news/12212002/news/4175.htm

In a separate order, the judge also mandates the Pease-based airline (PanAm) to pay Capt. Don Simonds of Stowe, Vt., back pay and interest for the 23 months since he was fired. The final amount owed Simonds will be determined by an arbitration board, but could surpass $200,000.......

...............The FAA clarification supported Simonds’ decision on Jan. 3, 2001 not to fly, ALPA argued in its appeals of Simonds’ firing, first before a federal labor board, which ordered Simonds be reinstated, and later in a suit against Pan Am in the U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia after the airline would not bring Simonds back to work. ........

................The court found again for Simonds, and Pan Am appealed and asked for a stay on reinstating and paying Simonds......

...............On Dec. 6, the court ordered the airline to reinstate Simonds no later than Dec. 10 with full pay, seniority and back pay, or risk a $5,000 fine for every day it delayed and having Pan Am’s company officers called into court to explain the delay. ....

Last edited:
I remember that pan am thing, isnt that the reason for the "whitlow letter"? I hope TSA get fined up the ass!

I hope HK gets his butt thrown in jail for contempt of court

I am sure he is shielded from such actions by the court.......I am thinking punitive damages though.....we will see.

Wonder how DH will explain THAT away. $250,000 and counting every day that they are not on property.

Whyizzit that these things seem to amaze people? HK ain't going to change his stripes! That's why he never got one of my resumes for the startup before the union got involved...

prison time

trans states, i worked there for 4 years, 3 years was a waste. its the closest thing i did to jail time. Tsa is, was, will always be a toilet stop for me.

Latest resources

Back