• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Trans States New-hires...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've got an 8 Aug class date. The appeal there is the short upgrade on the turbo prop. While there may some QOL issues, but I'll be logging 121 Turbine PIC time before the guys "who'll climb over their buddy's corpse to get the jet" will be. When I get there, if not assigned, I will request it. I don't think anyone would have a prob switching with me.

TiredOfTeaching said:
I've got an 8 Aug class date. The appeal there is the short upgrade on the turbo prop. While there may some QOL issues, but I'll be logging 121 Turbine PIC time before the guys "who'll climb over their buddy's corpse to get the jet" will be. When I get there, if not assigned, I will request it. I don't think anyone would have a prob switching with me.

Are you saying that you are going on the 41 because you can upgrade faster on it? If so, be aware that the FO jet guys can upgrade over to 41 Captain. It's a matter of seniority, not which equipment you started on. Plus, since the jet FO's usually get more hours, if you are not already captain qualified, a jet FO may be able to upgrade before a 41 FO.
If that's not what you meant, then nevermind...

TEXAN AVIATOR said:
Xjet won't call me back! They called, I sent in the resume and still waiting for an interview a few months later.

I hear that!! They frickin tease you! ASA just did the same thing. Called me to ask me some questions about my background and they said they will mail out an app and to hurry and send it back so that I can then maybe get an interview. Fu#k that!! Pinnacl emailed me a day after I faxed my resume and gave me a list of dates to choose from for my interview...plus a free ticket to get there. Mesa called me 30 minutes after I sent them what they needed. From what I have gathered, dont choose based on what you hear as much as how would it affect your life when your off because commuting could wast a whole lotta time. Try Pinnacle and Mesa. Good Luck!

for the class now there's 7 in the props. the whole class is going to RIC. they're telling us that upgrade on the prop is a year to 2 years. ure able to bid out of the prop after a year, but chances of u getting the jet are slim. they're need prop guys in RIC and they need them bad. some people are saying that our reserve time will be 3 months or less. tsa is going to keep hiring til december and the classes, for the most part, will be split in half when it comes to handing out equipment!

commuting is possible
no training contract which is nice

Reelbigfish said:
Are you saying that you are going on the 41 because you can upgrade faster on it? If so, be aware that the FO jet guys can upgrade over to 41 Captain. It's a matter of seniority, not which equipment you started on. Plus, since the jet FO's usually get more hours, if you are not already captain qualified, a jet FO may be able to upgrade before a 41 FO.
If that's not what you meant, then nevermind...

From December to June 15 people were awarded the captain upgrade, 7 or 8 (I don't recall which) were jet FO's. Trans States has a 1000 hour lower total time requirement on the J41, so it's tempting for the jet guys to upgrade on the prop.

As to hours, jet FOs easily get more. My seniority would have held an 85 hour jet line with 12 days off instead of 45 hour reserve/build-up lines with 11 days off on the J41.

I've been here for 1.5 yrs as a jet FO and I'm upgrading to the J41 in the next class. Obviously, I would prefer to go to the jt as a capt but I think it will be a much longer wait. The J41 is actually going VERY junior right now (me) because of all the Jet FOs who don't want to fly a prop(or something like that). I think that this situation will reverse itself pretty soon when the senior jet FOs get tired of waiting for the 2 or 3 spots going to the jet each month. Of course, the flood gates could open soon and I'll be stuck for a year on the 41. In any case, it's long been my plan to take the first upgrade offered so here we are. See you guys in class next month!!

Way to go!

Congratulations!!! I have other reasons for not upgrading right now. It's not because I'm too good to fly the 41. I think it would be cool. Besides, you know what I was flying before I came here!!! The 41 is king compared to a Baron! Anyhow, it's still tempting and I'm seriously considering changing my mind. Good luck in training. We'll have to get together and down a couple.

Jeff,
I know a couple other guys who are changing their bids or at least considering it. It seems like they will have to upgrade more guys in the jet but so far they are saying "2 or 3" per month. Who knows...
Definitely give me a call. Hey, do we still stay at the same cr@ppy hotel in STL?

yep

Holliday Inn, baby!! I don't know if they have a deal worked out to get you to Simuflite(I think thats it) for 41 sim training. I'll try to remember to ask Joe. He is in 41 upgrade right now. I do know they go to the training center for ground school and you can check out the latest and greatest hot-azz FA's in training. And don't forget to stop by the Blowjets offices (just down the hall from the TSA offices!!!!) and give 'em a nice warm welcome!

Latest resources

Back