Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TEXAN AVIATOR

Bewbies
I've been offered a class date with TSA. I'm still interviewing with a few others before I go but I have some questions.
1. How long is reserve on the EMB145 compared to the J41?
2. Is a commute from Houston possible?
3. Where are the majority of newhires being placed?
4. Is there a training contract?
Feel free to add in any additional info you may have.

TEXAN AVIATOR said:
I've been offered a class date with TSA. I'm still interviewing with a few others before I go but I have some questions.
1. How long is reserve on the EMB145 compared to the J41?
2. Is a commute from Houston possible?
3. Where are the majority of newhires being placed?
4. Is there a training contract?
Feel free to add in any additional info you may have.

1) Depends upon where you fall in your new hire class. Low last 4 soc security digits are good. Based on that, could be a month. Could be a year. Once you start holding a build-up line, you're not off the hook. The last three months I was there the build-up lines were all reserve days!

2) Yep. Several do it now on SWA (the commuters friend).

3) They are desperate for J41 FOs now, but attrition is heavy across the board. I'll let someone else speculate on that.

4) Not yet.

Best advice - you could do worse, but you could also do much, much better. Keep interviewing.

Have a friend in class now.... I believe he said 4 are going to RIC on the J41, the rest in STL. Said that the four were assigned randomly, not by seniority. Seat locked for 1 year. I told him to go read his contract, because this doesn't sound right.

TSA's contract must realy suck if the above is true...
our vacancies have to be 1. bid for, 2. junior manned - as in the bottom first, not random, 3. If you are junior manned, then they can't seat lock you.... locks only for bidding.

Everyone keeps saying that "attrition is high", but why have the upgrade classes been so small? Is this to compensate for the 41's that are going away. Almost 700 pilots and only three FO upgrades for August.

Attrition is very high, I think we have lost 80-85 pilots so far this year (most of which are FO's going to other regionals). The reason upgrade classes are small is that they aren't losing that many captains.

Everyone keeps saying that "attrition is high", but why have the upgrade classes been so small? Is this to compensate for the 41's that are going away. Almost 700 pilots and only three FO upgrades for August.

You have to remember than there are also alot of CQFO's transfering to Captians. They are taking some of those upgrade slots. As for August there are 3 CQFOs changing to captains, and 5 captain upgrades from FOs. 4 J41 upgrades, and one jet. The date of hire for the J41 upgrades are all Jan and Feb of 04 hires. Last month we had 4 J41 Capt upgrades, and 10 CQFOs converted to captains. Most of the jet captains have been coming off from 41 captains as of recently.

There were a lot of 41 upgrades from Feb to Sep of last year. All those guys are coming off seatlock and making the switch to the jet. I think in the next few months, you'll see more FO upgrades to the jet.

If you can get a job at XJET do it because i live in Houston also. I only sat in Newark for 2 months before getting advanced back to Houston based. Good luck.

Xjet won't call me back! They called, I sent in the resume and still waiting for an interview a few months later.

TEXAN AVIATOR said:
Xjet won't call me back! They called, I sent in the resume and still waiting for an interview a few months later.

AMEN!

Latest resources

Back