• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Trans States Classes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The only other requirement other than having an ATP is 1,000 in any 121 or 135 operation. If I was an FO at TSA, I would be pissed about these artificial requirements. The only reason they are offering CQFOs is because otherwise they know pilots will not go there. Hopefully the xjt guys don't go there.

the requirements for 1000 121/135 are FAA mandate. TSA cannot waive that regardless. The FOs we have know that and are not pissed, just hoping to get the time they need soonest as upgrades are so quick, now. They are offering CQFOs to FNGs because they need FOS AND Captains. NOW. Guys will come or not according to their own needs. it's a good deal if you want the 121 PIC time and are looking at a long upgrade time

TSA has a seniority list, right ? And they'd prefer to upgrade their current FOs in accordance with that seniority list ?

So, will these new hybrid FO-Caps go on the list as they're hired according to seniority ?

What happens to these folks promised a captain spot (of sorts) when the current FOs get the time to upgrade...and upgrade ? Move backward to FO territory iaw their seniority ?

I suppose it's hard to solve a puzzle with so many moving pieces...airplanes coming, people leaving...

Yes, there is a seniority list, of course, but even if they upgraded ALL the FOs on that list NOW they would still be short Captains AND FOs. and nevermind that maybe 50% of the FOs here now (more?) lack the time to be a 121 PIC per FAA requirements, not company. and yes, the CQFOs go on the listper DOH and become regular captains as they accrue the needed seniority, etc. this is a limited time narrow window for guys to get time in the left seat. I've heard they are looking for 200 CQFO types now as well as 300+ FOs. I honestly don't know where they are gonna get all the bodies they need but it's a real opportunity for thos able to move on it. The

Well, this is gettin' to be fun to watch. :laugh:

Be on reserve indefinitely in BOTH seats. That's not brutal.

So, what's the forecast for this TSA CQFO program ? Attract lots of people or fall flat ?

the requirements for 1000 121/135 are FAA mandate. TSA cannot waive that regardless. The FOs we have know that and are not pissed, just hoping to get the time they need soonest as upgrades are so quick, now. They are offering CQFOs to FNGs because they need FOS AND Captains. NOW. Guys will come or not according to their own needs. it's a good deal if you want the 121 PIC time and are looking at a long upgrade time

That was my only point. Your company is setting artificial minimums when the only one that is mandated by the FAA is 1,000 hours of previous 121/135 time. That's a really good way to piss off FOs that otherwise meet faa minimums to be captain.

I see it as a way to get FOs and fill in as CA only when minimally necessary. Think about it, nobody wants to go there as an FO so they offer this program. Now they have new qualified FOs that are told they may get some PIC. Anybody would be foolish to consider this. Captain is one thing, but this two seat deal really lowered the bar.

This is CQFO part II. This was done in the early 2000's as well.Lots of guys where flying as Captain.

I see it as a way to get FOs and fill in as CA only when minimally necessary. Think about it, nobody wants to go there as an FO so they offer this program. Now they have new qualified FOs that are told they may get some PIC. Anybody would be foolish to consider this. Captain is one thing, but this two seat deal really lowered the bar.

It's been said that they will need more captains than there are FOs on the seniority list. To me it looks like a way to pay the pilot in the captain seat first year pay rather than the upgraded FO 3+year pay while at the same time being circumvented on the list.

Latest resources

Back