Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dignan said:
CatYaaak,

Please don't open up another pro-Ed Begley Jr vs. anti-Ed Begley Jr debate! It will enflame this entire board! It's worth than a PFT debate.

Anti-Ed Begley Jr and proud of it,
D

You mean there really has been such a debate? I had no idea, and you have my apologies!

Proud Anti-Ed Begley-ite too.

I did a deal back in the day when I got out of college that was United from east coast to LA then train back across for one low price that I think was around a grand, although I went up to Portland, OR first via San Francisco. If I remember correctly it took about 2.5 days to get from Portland to Washington, DC and the route was through Chicago then NY then to DC.

It was fun in a bohemian looking out the windows seeing some parts of the country I probably wouldn't want to spend LOTS of time it but in reality it is a terrible way to travel in terms of time spent, money spent, and just comfort. Granted airline seats are not 5 star hotel beds but on Amtrack trains a sleeper car costs something like 200 a night on top of the already stiff price and that isn't the 2 person, 2 couch with its own bathroom sleeper that you seein the movies but the 50 people in a car in coffins type sleeper. Besides, the only places you could smoke on the train were the snack/observaion car and the sleeper cars and I wasn't up for all the smoke. The rules have probably changed now so that no one smokes anywhere at anytime, don't want to offend someone's sense of smell or anything.

The other interesting thing was that from the west coast to Chicago was pretty cool with the double decker kind of trains with pretty much room per seat, but once you got east of Chicago it was like being on a commuter subway for 24 hours straight, talk about aggravation and frustration.

But, if the original poster's point was trains will replace air travel, not.

I did use the train once, when I moved from Florida up to New England several years back. See, they have this "Auto Train," which will carry you and your car from Central Florida to Northern Virginia overnight. Leave around 4 in the afternoon, sleep on the train, wake up, have breakfast, and you're there by around 8 something in the morning.

Normally it's fairly expensive, but when I checked last minute, I could get me, my car, and a single sleeper room for $300! It was too good of a deal to pass up, especially when you factor in the gas, wear on the car, possible hotel room (I was driving solo), and the inevitable speeding ticket somewhere along the way. For $300, it was a killer deal. And the Auto Train doesn't stop every 5 minutes like the regular train seems to.

I looked it up, these days the same deal would be $450 if I booked it for tomorrow. Of course, the last minute one-way on AirTran would be only $180, and you'd be there much, much faster. But no car.

Just FYI.

An auto train from Florida to New York, huh? Hmmm, did you happen to notice you were the only one on the train without blue hair and a Cadillac?

Well with United and airport security these days, at times it may just be faster and easier to drive to your destination.

Latest resources

Back