trains the way to travel across usa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Right

Some years ago, I saw an interview withEd Bagley(actor and environmentlist) during which he stated that he used trains for travel between the east and west coasts because he heard they used less fuel per person.. I always thought that was BS. I wonder what's the fuel burn per person in a modern jet..

Just out of curiosity, how long does it take to travel from coast to coast on a train? How about on an airplane?

Re: Right

KigAir said:
Some years ago, I saw an interview withEd Bagley(actor and environmentlist) during which he stated that he used trains for travel between the east and west coasts because he heard they used less fuel per person

Most likely he prefers train travel because there are fewer people who will NOT recognize him. A 777 loaded with people who don't know who he is, or care if they do, is probably too much for pseudo-celebrity's (status inherited from father) ego to bear.

bestpilotever

I don't know how long it takes to go out west, but it takes 3 days to go from ORL to ATL. If you choose this way, you have to get there by way of Washington, DC. Doesn't make alot of since does it? I looked into this in mid 01', just to see if it might save a little money getting back home. It costs more to do this than buying a last minute ticket on delta. I don't forsee a mass exodus of the airlines for railroads. It would be about as likely as taking a horse and buggy, The horse may get you there a little faster though.ha,ha:D

CatYaaak,

Please don't open up another pro-Ed Begley Jr vs. anti-Ed Begley Jr debate! It will enflame this entire board! It's worth than a PFT debate.

Anti-Ed Begley Jr and proud of it,
D

Bush is trying to kill Amtrak too

No passenger railroad in the world is self-sufficient...that being said GW is trying his best to cut of federal subsidy's to Amtrak forcing them to cease most routes. FYI

PHX to SNA

Just about X years ago, I had a college roomate who was looking to travel from PHX to So. Cal. Amtrak would've cost the most than any other travel option and the trip would take 14 hours!!! S H I T... I mean, Holy Cow!!! You can drive from Phoenix to LA in about 7 hours. Guess what, he bought a ticket on Southwest.. he was a smart fella!;)

Latest resources

Back