• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Training Service to prepare for military pilot selection tests

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The real issue that we see here is that the military is missing out on many potentially excellent pilots because they have problems getting through an aptitude test.
I don't think I even need to point out the irony in the above statement, but I'll make an analogy.
"The real issue that we see here is that the military is missing out on many potentially excellent pilots because they are blind." (Or deaf, or missing an appendage or take your pick.)
As has been stated, the ARCO guide is more than sufficient to prepare for the AFOQT or ASTB. But hey, this is America, and capitalism is a great thing. I have no doubt you guys will make a fortune doing this, but the fact remains that there are a finite number of slots in every service and that number isn't going up because someone comes along and starts manufacturing more qualified candidates.

We look from a different angle.

In Australia the failure rate at UPT is around one third - I suspect it is the same in the USAF and USN. The present selection process is far from perfect - many inappropriate selections are made.

We meet many Military IPs making the military to airline transition. They tell us that many flight candidates simply should not be there - many lose motivation at UPT when it gets hard.

The key is motivation we have had some applicants who left school at 15/16 , went back to get the quals at nightschool - they would walk over broken glass to get to flight school. I have no doubt that these guys will get through flight school.

The guys who I mentioned who passed on second and third(final) attempt very nearly were not selected - they were not deaf - they were not blind - they were not fools. What they were - what they became - Hornet IPs.

It is inappropriate for us to comment on prep books - however what I would say is have a look at the sample questions on our site and compare. There is a difference between a $20 B&W book as compared to spending two full days with an expert instructor who has placed scores of applicants at the top of the testing pile.

Regards

Jonathan Ryan

Last edited:
People don't wash out of UPT or quit simply because the wrong people are selected to attend training.

That's the error of the thinking.

Latest resources

Back