• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

training in a jet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
yes but both those pilots at least had a cert....

post #1 indicated the student had zero time....

BIG DIFFERENCE....

Sounds like you guys interpret the rules to suit the situation.....You have it all figured out. Let me know the outcome.

In the NTSB report the "Student" was not a student pilot but typed in the aircraft, the CFI was not. Teaching in a jet to a low time pilot has it's "problems". From what I heard the Insurance company would not let him go flying with out a certificated pilot to go with him. It would seem the other pilot was not up to the challenge.

Therman should of never made it through FlightSafety but at the time when you bought a new Citation, you always passed.

I asked several questions but have not received any answers, so I do not think there can be a student pilot (i.e. no certificate at all) in a "N" tail numbered jet aircraft (all require a type rating). You could have a Single or multi engine Pilot in the right seat of a Cessna 501 receiving Multi instruction (from a Multi-CFI or if the "Student" is working on his ATP from a ATP rated pilot) but I don't think a student pilot could not go solo in a type rated aircraft.

But as I re-read the OP, he says "no license's in a jet" not "No license at all". Maybe the OP needs to make that clear which it is.

Last edited:
thats what ive been saying.....the student has no certificate at all....you cant take a zero time student on put him the left seat of a lear.....regs prohibit that.

Now if the CFI has single pilot for the jet then that may be a diffrent story but I really doubt it. And as you stated, the insurance company has the final word.

When I worked at the fsdo years ago that was a canned answer we had for a lot situations.....it may be legal but the insurance company actually has the final word. Most people would be boggled by that answer.

The OP wrote:

"Does anyone no where in the regs where you can give instruction to a person with no license's in a jet."

OR - Did he mean:

a) Does anyone (k)no(w) where in the regs you can give instruction to a person with no certificate in a jet?

Is that "no certificate, in a jet?" or no jet certificate?

(I still do not know what a "Jet" license is). And I suppose you can "give" instruction but that does not mean toward a pirvate pilot certificate only in a jet. You can give instruction to a certificated airman for a higher rating than he has.

OR

b) Does anyone (k)no(w) where in the regs you can give (primary or pre solo) instruction to a person in a jet?

If the jet requires two pilots, I can think of several regs that are violated if you allow a non pilot in the other seat.

Again, even if the jet required one crew member, how would they go solo if the aircraft required a type rating to act as pic?

Maybe krazyk needs to be more specific?

The OP wrote:

"Does anyone no where in the regs where you can give instruction to a person with no license's in a jet."

OR - Did he mean:

a) Does anyone (k)no(w) where in the regs you can give instruction to a person with no certificate in a jet?

Is that "no certificate, in a jet?" or no jet certificate?

(I still do not know what a "Jet" license is). And I suppose you can "give" instruction but that does not mean toward a pirvate pilot certificate only in a jet. You can give instruction to a certificated airman for a higher rating than he has.

OR

b) Does anyone (k)no(w) where in the regs you can give (primary or pre solo) instruction to a person in a jet?

If the jet requires two pilots, I can think of several regs that are violated if you allow a non pilot in the other seat.

Again, even if the jet required one crew member, how would they go solo if the aircraft required a type rating to act as pic?

Maybe krazyk needs to be more specific?

Assuming this is a single pilot capable jet, 61.31 allows for a waiver from the FAA to fly without a type rating for various reasons including training.

The only thing stopping this is insurance. If the guy has enough money, that won't be a problem either.

Assuming this is a single pilot capable jet, 61.31 allows for a waiver from the FAA to fly without a type rating for various reasons including training.

The only thing stopping this is insurance. If the guy has enough money, that won't be a problem either.

You are correct. If lucky I learn something every day.

I wonder how the "student" will qualify this part of 61.31?

"
(2) The Administrator has determined that an equivalent level of safety can be achieved through the operating limitations on the authorization;
"

The student would have to have a lot of money and or pull.

Amazing that nearly 4 days after having posted a completely un-interpretable post the OP is nowhere to be seen, and you all still waste your time trying to answer the guy.

Yes, I think we've been had.....

While we're at it, can anyone tell me where in the regulariments it says that i can fly with a pilot whos not actually a pilot in seaplanes that are only used away from the sea between evening civil twilight and dawn but while not night current? I'll check back in a few months to check your progress. Thanks!

Amazing that nearly 4 days after having posted a completely un-interpretable post the OP is nowhere to be seen, and you all still waste your time trying to answer the guy.

Yes, I think we've been had.....

While we're at it, can anyone tell me where in the regulariments it says that i can fly with a pilot whos not actually a pilot in seaplanes that are only used away from the sea between evening civil twilight and dawn but while not night current? I'll check back in a few months to check your progress. Thanks!

Sitting reserve in a hotel room. I have all the time in the world to answer stupid questions...

Landplane pilots can fly seaplanes with wheels on land, and since you are a pilot, not a passenger, he doesn't have to meet night currency.

I'll bet you the jet in question is a Eclipse 500.
Under a Part 141 syllabus for a PPL ME no solo time is required. It's supervised PIC.
DPE/FAA Inspector would need to be typed to do the checkride.
I'm a rich guy so I don't need hull insurance.

Did I win a cookie?

Latest resources

Back