• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Training Contracts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
oh yea, my new employer told me to tell my previous employer to go fck themselves..thank you

So what do you think they're going to tell you when something happens that they don't like. That doesn't sound like something a reputable employer would say.

Paying your way out of the contract is just fine. Some employers do lie and don't live up to their end of the bargain and that's a shame. I have turned down a good job opportunity before that wold have been a positve move because I was still in a training contract. Just seemed like the honorable thing to do, and I could not afford to pay the contract. But thats just me.

contracts

I am currently in one but it was worded as a promissary note. I work for a good company and it was hard to make the choice to leave early. A note or contract is not a direct sign of a bad company. I am taking another job but will pay whats left, I signed they invested the money (more than the note) Yes some companies have you sign then you get screwed. I think there is enough info and resources on this board to know which ones to stay away from. Bottom line if you signed and want to leave for greener pastures then pay up!!

Many people require one and many people don't.....but landlover

who cares, if they are cheap enough to make you sign one, they won't shell out the money to hire a lawyer and enforce it. I haven't met one person that was summoned to court because of a training contract, and yes i know a few guys that have bailed on one or two.

You are under one.....that you signed....and I know plenty of guys from the company you fly for (THAT IS CHEAP ENOUGH)
if they are cheap enough to make you sign one
that got screwed!!!!!!....if your buddies haven't (assuming you have only been there for the amount of time you have been posting about Ameristar....they will....they just haven't been found)....they will get their time with TED I assure you!)
.....don't BE MISTAKEN TOMS BROTHER IS A LAWYER AND HE ISN'T CHEAP....ITS INHOUSE RATE....BABY!!!!!!!!

Sign it, Assume it, Live up to It,....then run like hell and get a real job!

Tex

Last edited:
So what do you think they're going to tell you when something happens that they don't like. That doesn't sound like something a reputable employer would say.

Paying your way out of the contract is just fine. Some employers do lie and don't live up to their end of the bargain and that's a shame. I have turned down a good job opportunity before that wold have been a positve move because I was still in a training contract. Just seemed like the honorable thing to do, and I could not afford to pay the contract. But thats just me.
That was stupid. When you have a chance to get ahead in this business, you take it. Even if you pay out the arss!

The other day when talking to a reputable aircraft management company, they mentioned that an individual that we were looking at had bailed and not fulfilled their training contract. It makes us look at that person different. We do require training contracts for type ratings, especially of new people with no track record with us.
More than a year ago, we hired someone who was flying a piston twin, gave him a jet rating under contract, he fulfilled it, left us for a bigger equipment job, but, may want to come back to us later for a Gulfstream job. If he had left us in the middle, we would not ever consider him for the better position. It is the difference to us of being a professional or just a driver.

Buying out

If you sign one leave early and pay the prorated portion do some think this a negative thing I don't think I could find fault for some one who fulfilled there obligation by either staying the time or paying the prorated portion.

I'm not necessarily against training contracts, but I think pilots who do sign them have to get something in return aside from just that type rating.

Many companies will not have any qualms with throwing you out on the street if they decide to sell their plane even though you might have made an honorable decision and decided to honor your training contract. Some may offer you a job later on when they get another airplane, but hey... are you willing to trust them? Are they willing to trust you by not making you sign a training note?

I'm one of the guys who decided to leave the previous gig because the position wasn't quite what was advertised - I made my intentions to leave known, but I also made it perfectly clear that I will honor my training agreement. What happened? The owner quietly hired and trained my replacement behind my back and one day simply decided to let me go - no warning, last day of the month which meant no insurance for me or my family the next day, he was nice enough to give me 2 weeks pay, but that's it... Mind you, I still had around 4 to 5 months of my training obligation, and I was honoring it - no lame writeups, no sick calls, nothing like that.

Fortunately, I was on LOA from my 121 gig and they were in the hiring mode. Even though I didn't necessarily want to go back to 121, I had no choice - I couldn't leave my family without medical coverage and COBRA was extremely cost-prohibitive.

The point is that signing a training note should also obligate the company that you shall be employed for at least the duration of your training note, barring negligence and the like.

Uncle Ted moved on...

AW.. Uncle Ted was disbarred over a year ago!!!! As much as you post I would of thought you knew that lol

...Then they hired one of the biggest, most successful
law firms in Dallas. Don't F..k with your contract there. They've never lost a case... EVER (and there have been many). It's solid... stick it out, then MOVE ON... they expect you to. FYI

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back