• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Training Contracts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just had an occasion to consult my attorney about the legality and enforceability of these training contracts in Texas. The answer is yes. I ended up not signing one, but he told me that they are common not only in aviation, but in such places as stock brokerage firms and other businesses that required a contract to get the training.

I'm sure you can get an answer from an attorney that will tell you the opposite, given the honorable profession's integrity.

Don't sign your name to one. Sign it "Mitch Cumstein."

If a training contract is required, and enforced, then don't go there. This all means there is no pilot shortage in the US.

These contracts ARE enforceable should a companies legal depart wish to pursue litigation.

Consider this should you intend not to honor one of these agreements which you signed:

A company is found to have a legal-binding agreement and a judgment is issued against you.

That judgment will follow you for a long time.

I had to go to court several years ago to enforce a contract, as a plaintiff and a judgment was issued against the defendant.

Defendant decided not to pay. Liens were placed, etc...

...It hasn't happened yet, but at some point, I'm gonna get a phone call from that person because they want to buy a car, get a mortgage....you get the picture.

If you're contemplating signing an employment contract, you'd be well advised to honor it. If not you should look elsewhere for a job with different requirements.

'nuff said

who cares, if they are cheap enough to make you sign one, they won't shell out the money to hire a lawyer and enforce it. I haven't met one person that was summoned to court because of a training contract, and yes i know a few guys that have bailed on one or two.

Ameriscare wants their full amount if you leave early.

I hate to throw this in, but seriously, if you're going to sign one, live up to your word. You signed a piece of paper saying you would stay for the length of the contract, and the company is saying they will invest training money. It's a matter of common respect and the value of your word. If you give your word saying that you will commit to a frame of time then your word should be enough to make you stay.

I agree that they shouldn't always be necessary, but don't resort to petty tactics and immaturity. And trust me, new potential employers find out if you ditched a contract and did not pay it back. It's sort of like going to GoJets from what I hear.

Training contracts are scare tactics. If an empoyer thought you would want to stay for the duration, there would be no contract. If you are in fear of your life, a violation, or dismemberment, tell your employer to talk to your lawyer. Especially if they lied to you about the conditions of empoyment. True story, no settlement...its not if - but when...on to greener pastures...

Ok so the honorable thing to do would be to stay in for the term of the contract. To me is seems perfectly honorable to leave early as long as you pay as stipulated in the contract. If you leave you are not breaking the contract, but paying your way out of it.

My employer doesn't make me sign a written contract however we have a verbal agreement that after a training event that I will stay for a year. I agree because I understand the employers perspective. If I quit right after $15K for recurrent training it would put the employer in a very bad position.

Last edited:
I bailed early on a contract and dont regret it one bit. Even as they are threating legal action, I still stand by my decision to leave. A few months after I was hired they changed the schedule to one that had us home only 6 days a month. They also bold faced lied to me about it in order to get me to train on a second aircraft. The first day of training I asked the CP if any changes were coming, he looked me straight in the eye and said there was absolutly no change coming and I should forget about the rumors I'd heard. After finishing up training I went in to the office to have my 8710 signed, they told me they were changing the schedule to 5/2 12/2 from 9/5 10/4. Complete crap. Since that time its only gotten worse. They can take their contract and shove it right up their arses.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back