• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Training Contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
STLPILOT, from reading your thread it appears that you may have found a company worth working for, but again, if you plan on signing a contract be sure that it covers you, as well as the company. Check out what CORONA had to say, he pretty much summed it up, protect yourself.
In any event, a company that will provide a letter of offer for employment sounds like a worthy company, but it has been my experience that most large companies very seldom require a contract, they hire on good faith. If you think about it, the company is telling you that they don't trust you and they want a contract to protect themselves in the event you depart the fix after training and a short period time working for them.
However, it may be a good thing, provided it gives you what you want and you get to live where you want and it provides a life outside of the company with great pay and benefits as well as a schedule.
GOOD LUCK IN YOUR NEW CAREER PATH! Let me know how it goes.

Let me respond from our perspective. It is not correct that the only companies that require training contracts are the ones that break regs or are bad employers. People leave companies for all kinds of reasons besides they are somehow being mistreated. If I hire you and pay for a type rating, I have enhanced your marketability in the industry. We try and hire only people that already have types as do others. It saves them money obviously plus when you hire a new person, perhaps they are not going to work out. Re-current is not much of an issue with us, only types. Companies and pilots are often not on the same career path. While it would be nice for a company to hire Joe to fly their piston twin and then they keep getting bigger and Joe keeps progressing upward, the fact is that sometimes that I SP is all they need now and may be all they need 10 years from now. There is nothing wrong with a company saying we will pay for your rating, but, you are required to pay us back if you decided you want to leave.
The violating of regs and the rest is a different employment issue

Since I started this thread I figure I would give the update/ conclusion.

My previous employer settled for an undisclosed amount of money the day we were suppose to go to court. I am pissed because I feel I paid too much for the working conditions I had to endore and they are pissed because they feel they accepted too little for the cost of the type rating they paid. It was a pain in the ass and we negotiated for over 1.5 years.

The wisdom I learned. You can be sued for a training contract so proceed with that in mind. But don't let that stop you from advancing your career and gaining experience.

I would and did sign another contract for a new type rating (different employer). I don't have a problem doing this, but now I interview the employer more then they interview me. And anything promised, I always get in writing.

but now I interview the employer more then they interview me. And anything promised, I always get in writing.

Amen. Always go to an interview thinking they need you more than you need them. Perhaps it portrays signs of confidence. That can only work in your favor.

Interview the Company

Since I started this thread I figure I would give the update/ conclusion.

My previous employer settled for an undisclosed amount of money the day we were suppose to go to court. I am pissed because I feel I paid too much for the working conditions I had to endore and they are pissed because they feel they accepted too little for the cost of the type rating they paid. It was a pain in the ass and we negotiated for over 1.5 years.

The wisdom I learned. You can be sued for a training contract so proceed with that in mind. But don't let that stop you from advancing your career and gaining experience.

I would and did sign another contract for a new type rating (different employer). I don't have a problem doing this, but now I interview the employer more then they interview me. And anything promised, I always get in writing.

Sounds like good advice!! I would also ask how many pilots have left the company in the last 12 months,turnover is a good indicator that things are not going well,also would ask about how many times the owner(s) have filed Chapter 11 inthe last 20 years,and a check with the local FSDO for complaints and violations.

So would you all suggest consulting an aviation lawyer with the contact

I would recommend to anyone signing a contract of any kind (training or otherwise) to spend $100-$200 to have a lawyer review it and explain to you what it means.

If you take any advice off a Internet forum take the advice to consult a licensed and trained professional in the area that you are seeking advice in before you make a final decision.

TAKE TRAINING CONTRACTS SERIOUSLY BEFORE SIGNING. I learned that after the process server showed up at my door with an ominous stack of documents demanding thousands of dollars. After two years of out-of-state litigation, I won that case.

I know of a recent case where the pilots won their training contract and back pay issues because the employer was deemed to be running an illegal operation (FAR violations). But in that case, the FAA had already sanctioned the company for the violations.

With adequate documentation, you can usually defend yourself on grounds of "fraud" or "illegality" or "material change of terms," as has been shown. The best idea is to not blindly step into these agreements all starry-eyed over an airplane. You can wind up in a pile of hurt later (either by really getting hurt in a crash or FAA action, or by winding up being sued).

Yeah, I wish we would all just say no to training contracts, but we are an industry full of ladder-climbers. Someone is always willing to outbid you. All you can do is defend yourself by choosing your employers wisely.

I was in a contract and got tired of one of the type jets I was flying. I was still under an FO contract but the CP said I would be upgrading....COOL!!!

The problem was the jet I was upgrading in was the jet with the problems....so I told them I would upgrade in the other equipment that I was flying...."NO!" was their answer. WE HIRED YOU TO FLY 2 types of jets and you will! Even though most my experience was in the one I wanted to fly.

Long story short...I refused and was handed my walking papers while still an FO...I figured broke is better than dead, mangled, or VIOLATED! The equipment was poorly maintained at BEST!

They I had an in house lawyer and I had mine plus prepaid legal....my lawyers said settle on anything under 6K (contract was 12,000) because it cost that anyway...or in their words "just to get started!"

The owners brother was legal council for the company and basically could back charge me if they won at any rate he wanted. I presented and argued my case including all the facts good and bad...and they settled out of court. Now its over...no dings on my credit...I payed them a settled amount that I felt I owed....as I DID BREAK THE CONTRACT I SIGNED....I never argued that I didn't owe them anything. I did owe them I SIGNED THEIR CONTRACT!!!
I knew what I was signing when I hired onto that outfit but I needed the job...so they paid and so did I. The thing is unless there is a gun to your head....if you have ever done 135 before you can look at the outfit and get a good feel through the interview...what you are getting into. Discuss 1st an amount, then payment options, when, how, if you have a rainy day is there any grace period...things like that.

HOPE THIS HELPS....GOOD LUCK!!!!

Tex

I was in a contract and got tired of one of the type jets I was flying. I was still under an FO contract but the CP said I would be upgrading....COOL!!!

The problem was the jet I was upgrading in was the jet with the problems....so I told them I would upgrade in the other equipment that I was flying...."NO!" was their answer. WE HIRED YOU TO FLY 2 types of jets and you will! Even though most my experience was in the one I wanted to fly.

Long story short...I refused and was handed my walking papers while still an FO...I figured broke is better than dead, mangled, or VIOLATED! The equipment was poorly maintained at BEST!

They I had an in house lawyer and I had mine plus prepaid legal....my lawyers said settle on anything under 6K (contract was 12,000) because it cost that anyway...or in their words "just to get started!"

The owners brother was legal council for the company and basically could back charge me if they won at any rate he wanted. I presented and argued my case including all the facts good and bad...and they settled out of court. Now its over...no dings on my credit...I payed them a settled amount that I felt I owed....as I DID BREAK THE CONTRACT I SIGNED....I never argued that I didn't owe them anything. I did owe them I SIGNED THEIR CONTRACT!!!
I knew what I was signing when I hired onto that outfit but I needed the job...so they paid and so did I. The thing is unless there is a gun to your head....if you have ever done 135 before you can look at the outfit and get a good feel through the interview...what you are getting into. Discuss 1st an amount, then payment options, when, how, if you have a rainy day is there any grace period...things like that.

HOPE THIS HELPS....GOOD LUCK!!!!

Tex

If they fired you and you still paid, you got screwed. The contract was null and void at that time due to circumstances beyond your control.

All the more evidence that one needs competent legal counsel.

C

Tex

You should have stayed your cotract, upgraded, and squawked everything wrong with the airplane.

Taxi out, somethings not right, taxi back and squawk it. They'll get the message and either not assign you the airplane, fix it, or fire you... however you would have had a legal recourse by documenting all that was wrong.

Latest resources

Back