• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Training Contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
He is exactly correct. If you do sign the "training contract" then make sure it includes the conditions of employment in the contract. They always promise everything and then hold you to the contract even though the pay is completely different in what they told you.

Get it in writing ALSO!

The attorney says I am Fu..Ked, so any ideas NOW.

Anyone have and ideas on what happens if you don't pay?

Get a new attorney. Where there is a will, there is a way.

I think a more accurate description is that sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. There are many variables that effect the outcome of these matters. I ran across this case last month that had a favorable outcome for the pilot. The outcome depends on the laws of the State where the contract is seeking to be enforced and the specific facts of the case. Every case is different. I would suggest consulting with at least one more attorney before shelling out 12K to get out of a contract. Since you never said what state the matter is in, there is little more I can tell you. Good luck.

The case is quoted in two parts b/c it would not all fit in one post.

"In opposition to defendant's motion, Excelaire submitted the affidavit of its Director of Operations, George Kyriacou; a copy of a letter from Excelaire management notifying defendant Wolkiewicz that the aircraft he piloted would be grounded from service for maintenance and that he could only continue his employment with Excelaire on the condition that he accept a demotion from a full time pilot to a part time status. Excelaire also submitted a copy of defendant Wolkiewicz's letter of resignation."

Good post, VH. I think this is the key paragraph^: They gave him a "choice" to be laid off or have his pay reduced. This means that the contract is now null and void.

In my state, you have the option of being laid off if an employer reduces your pay. You don't have to take reduced pay, and they must pay you your full salary until you leave.

I would never work for a company again that pulled this stunt on me.

C

I wonder if we as pilots could have a counter employment contract that the employers would have to sign before we signed their training contract?

I had one co-pilot who almost did that with one of the sleazeball operators in Portland, OR. He took the contract back to his lawyer, who read it and laughed his head off.

They put in exceptions such as salary, days off, etc. After it was rewritten, my co-worker signed off & sent it to the company's chief pilot.

He followed up a couple more times but never heard back from them.

Companies like that rely on stupid pilots.

C

I will tell you right now that the contracts DO HOLD UP IN COURT. You had better have a very good file of PROOF to even think about getting out of it.

The contract I had was the most basic you have ever seen and they won.

HAP

Depends on the state. If it a right to work state (like Texas is) they are technically illegal. But, if the judge is sympathetic to the owner(ie a campaign donor) then he'll probably rule in the companie's favor. However, campaign donations are a matter of public record. So you could probably force a recusal by that judge due to a conflict of interest. Good Luck!

Great post Van. I think everyone should read the part on the decision where other cases are refered to that essentially state that some of the provisions in the contract were illegal from the start. Great advice people here give. Don't rely on the company to write a contract that is entirely legal. Like Corona said, these companies rely on stupid pilots. Hopefully OI812 will get an understanding from this. The companies that require these aren't always on the up and up. Just because someone wears a suit doesn't mean a damn thing about their regard for legal matters.

Mr. I.

But most of us learned early on to draw a line in the sand, even if it means walking away from a job.

The original poster signed a contract. He gave his word. A man would pay up.

The waisting of bandwidth aside, it seems plausible that the original poster is in essence drawing the proverbial line in the sand and ultimately walking away from a job because of it.

Obviously, we don't know to what degree any of the conditions the poster explains exist. But as you stated "most of us have been there and done that". I feel certain there are employers in all industries that would do this; I know there are in aviation. All of your analogies withstanding, certainly no PIC (or SIC, FEX, FA, etc.) should violate a regulation or compromise safety at the demand of the employer, but we know some employers will do just that, knowingly and unknowingly, by both direct and indirect methods in a sometimes seemingly blind pursuit of revenue.

Yes, he signed a contract (of which we arguably don't know the legal merit or wording), but I'm sure in his opinion, understanding, and intent in signing it was that it applied to a specific job function, stated compensation, promised work conditions, etc. If those change in the manner the poster explained then the faith of the contract is violated, i.e broken and the employer has not held up his obligations in the contract.

FWIW, I have refused to sign training contracts, even with employers that "require" them for many of the issues discussed in this thread. However, I have experienced issues with employers that, had I signed one, certainly would have justified voiding the contract and I would have done so with good conscience. Yes, I consider myself a highly ethical person and greatly value my word, but the simple fact is the some people (managers, employers, and employees alike) do not and will lie to you. I think it is great advice to have conditions specifically addressed in a contract, but just because they are not doesn't remove both parties obligations in a contract... ethically speaking.

The number one enemy in aviation is the PILOT themselves. We have been screwing our self for many years. Signing contracts, working for chump change just to get the flying time and have an opportunity to fly something with two engines or more. Yes, we really have nobody to blame but ourselves. That's why the employers can have contracts, and pay little, because there are some many on the outside looking in and will take the job at any cost---just let me fly---I will do anything mentality.
Yes I have been on the outside and on the inside, but I have never paid for training or signed any contracts; and as a side note, my son has never signed any or paid for any training either.
I would like to see all pilots stick together--you know, like a union. Low pay, tell them to go F---off, contract---dido. At some point in time, the pay will go up and maybe we can all make a livable wage. That's what happened many years ago with nurses, now they enjoy good money and even signing bonuses.
The company I work for started a co-pilot at $21k a year plus a contract to fly a Lear in a 135 operation. However, the company is not pressing the pilot for the money since he left a few weeks ago. That's good for him; otherwise he would be in debt even more.
Any idea's on a national pilots union? LET'S UNITE!!

Those are good words Leenick. I have been preaching that for a long time. We all need to be team players in this business. Not too may other jobs out there where your employer puts you in charge of a mulit-million dollar piece of equipment and multiple human lives that pays as little as it does. Greyhound pays lots more when you start out driving a bus. Now, were's the line of perspective drivers for that one saying to themselves, "Wow, it's got 10 tires on it. I have got to drive that!"
Where's the logic in OUR business to do what we do for next to nothing just so another CEO can purchase more motorcycles and cars to add to their collection? To watch another CEO walk away from an airline with multi-million dollar BONUS'S for aiding them in reducing their crew costs in an effort to get out of bankrupcy.
As the sheep wait by the fence for the gate to open so they can run to the slaughter-house!

Thread Revival

I’m new to the cooperate gig and have just had an offer made but with a training contract of one year that pro-rates for everyday worked. The pay and benefits are slightly above standard so I’m not working for chump change and after the initial year you never sign anything again. From reading this thread the majority seems to frown upon contracts, but are they all bad? It seems somewhat reasonable for a company to get what they pay for so that the employee does not take the type rating and run on em. This particular company seems to check out and so far I’ve, talked extensively with other company pilots, my old boss/personal friend knows the president, and simply doing my own research. Of course I’m well aware someone can still get burnt even after taking all these precautions.

If worse comes to worse and they pull a “Jeckle and Hyde” on me I could consider taking mil leave till the contract expires. So would you all suggest consulting an aviation lawyer with the contact along with walking in with some ideas of what I want to see in it before signing? Has anyone approached their new employer with these demands only to have them frown upon their intensions and/or act like you are the first person to do it? Obviously that would not be a good sign, to me anyways. Oh and I have an “offer letter” that has the salary and benefits listed in it, so should that be good enough or should all of that be written in the contract as well?

I kind of get the feeling that some contracts are very bad while others are not so bad. Very confused on this one, first priority is to watch my back but yet not be overzealous and start off on the wrong foot with them barking a bunch of demands. Thanks for the guidance.

Most of the contracts discussed here are very one-sided. If you want to sign a contract -and many jobs require it- you should have it checked by an employment lawyer; aviation lawyers don't know anything about employment law.
Make sure you are covered in the event of management changes to your job. It won't cost you your job; it will just void the contract from that point forth and give you the option of leaving or staying without penalty.
If they are a reputable company, they will not have a problem including language that protects you from abuse. If they are not, you probably will not hear from them again, which is also a good answer to receive at least for the long term.
It's nothing personal; protecting your interests. It's just business. :)

Good luck,
C

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back