• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Train Conductor Wishes He Was Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What is the normal crew for a freight train?

Depends on the railroad, the job, and whether guys are deadheading. For those railroads that use RCLs (remote controlled locos) in switchyards, nobody is in the train, other than crew hanging off the cars to make cuts and whatnot. Only management likes RCLs. Your typical thru freight train has two guys, the engineer and conductor. More if guys are deadheading. The engineer drives, the conductor is "in charge" .. ahem. Locals and other jobs that require a lot of ground work can have 3, 4 guys. Sometimes the stragglers hang out in the trailing engines until work starts. Big money can be made on locals .. we're talking $110k+/year on certain jobs.

Oh, if you're new on a route, they set you up with a pilot who "guides" you along the route until you're up to speed. Believe it or not, there's a lot of stuff to memorize and apply .. you've got to keep on your toes. So that makes 3+ on thru freight sometimes.

I think flightinfo.com should open a railroad thread for those of us who screwed up and became airline pilots or otherwise. Secks, your in charge.

ummmm

Ummm.... That tool makes more money than you.

Remember to show some respect when you wait on him, you know, when you are at your second job you have to work, because you are a tool, working for the man for peanuts.

I think the schedule would be the hard part.On call 24 hrs every day.Also does it get boring or does it take that much to drive a train?I applied to UP is there a trick to getting on.And is it common to get furloughed?

Latest resources

Back