• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Traffic pattern question at uncontrolled airport

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Please reference the FAR you are saying people are breaking.

Perhaps you mean this regulation:

§ 91.126 Operating on or in the vicinity of an airport in Class G airspace.

(a) General. Unless otherwise authorized or required, each person operating an aircraft on or in the vicinity of an airport in a Class G airspace area must comply with the requirements of this section.
(b) Direction of turns. When approaching to land at an airport without an operating control tower in Class G airspace—
(1) Each pilot of an airplane must make all turns of that airplane to the left unless the airport displays approved light signals or visual markings indicating that turns should be made to the right, in which case the pilot must make all turns to the right;

I was wrong in my "ass-umption."

The advisory circular actually says..........

a. Regulatory provisions relating to traffic patterns are found in Parts 91, 93, and 97 of the Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR). The airport traffic patterns contained in Part 93 relate primarily to those airports where there is a need for unique traffic pattern procedures not provided for in Part 91. Part 97 addresses instrument approach procedures.At airports without operating control towers, Part 91 requires only that pilots of airplanes approaching to land make all turns to the left unless light signals or visual markings indicate that turns should be made to the right.

Make all turns to the left when approaching to land (or in other words in the traffic pattern). If I am landing on 27 and coming in from the south west then I am going to enter the traffic pattern on the 45 and make a right turn into the down wind for 27.

Are you saying you are going to fly across the airport left turn onto the upwind then come all the around for 27?

No one can ever argue that it isn't prudent to fly over the field to survey the layout at an unfamiliar airport and observe the wind indicator as well as possibly traffic pattern indicators. Often times it is necessary to fly at TPA or lower (especially at night) so as to see a wind sock.

The important part when landing at a non-towered airport is to maintain vigilance at all times for other traffic and always participate in CTAF so as to keep others advised of your position and intentions.

Now, if I'm arriving as you have given for an example, I would probably just do as you and enter on the 45 degree angle to the downwind. However, fly as you must in order to gather all the landing information necessary before entering the landing pattern, just keep making all turns to the left.

And as I said earlier, that big teardrop 225 degree turn to the right as one poster suggested, is definitely contrary to the FAR's (CFR's).

Last edited:
And as I said earlier, that big teardrop 225 degree turn to the right as one poster suggested, is definitely contrary to the FAR's (CFR's).

So entering downwind with a right turn to land is legal and you do it; but, entering via a teardrop turn to the right isn't. If I am 20 miles away from an airport and "approaching it to land" am I restricted to left turns only? What is the point at which the left turn requirement comes into force?

Please explain how this is possible and support it with the FAR's or other FAA guidance. We can argue the safety of the entry but I don't see anything which makes it illegal to do it.

So entering downwind with a right turn to land is legal and you do it; but, entering via a teardrop turn to the right isn't. If I am 20 miles away from an airport and "approaching it to land" am I restricted to left turns only? What is the point at which the left turn requirement comes into force?

Please explain how this is possible and support it with the FAR's or other FAA guidance. We can argue the safety of the entry but I don't see anything which makes it illegal to do it.

The only reason the 45 degree turn to the right is OK is because AC90-66A and the AIM give it as an example of the way to get into the pattern. Other than that, all turns should be made to the left (for standard left traffic pattern). My reference has been clearly posted by AVBUG and as you should know this is the regulation:

§ 91.126 Operating on or in the vicinity of an airport in Class G airspace.

(a) General. Unless otherwise authorized or required, each person operating an aircraft on or in the vicinity of an airport in a Class G airspace area must comply with the requirements of this section.
(b) Direction of turns. When approaching to land at an airport without an operating control tower in Class G airspace—
(1) Each pilot of an airplane must make all turns of that airplane to the left unless the airport displays approved light signals or visual markings indicating that turns should be made to the right, in which case the pilot must make all turns to the right;
Now I can guarantee you that you can not produce anything in the AIM or the FAR's (CFR's) that sez a big 225 degree teardrop to the right so as to position for a downwind entry is OK or recommended. That is because such a procedure is in direct violation of the regulations.

That was easy! Hit the "Easy" button.

Straight in approaches are OK, entering on base is OK too as per the regulations, but the big teardrop to the right is not OK.

Always use CTAF and maintain vigilance. Remember, other pilots may be making overhead 360 degree breaks, 1080 degree overhead practice landings, flying low over the field on a practice IFR approach to missed approach or a close in circle to land; and, some pilots may even be doing aerobatics as low as 1,500, or lower if they have an approved practice aerobatic box.

As false sense of security that causes pilots to think that others are always entering on a 45 degree to the downwind is naïve (and dangerous). Thrust me, pilots landing at a non-towered airport might arrive from any and all directions, but by FAR, they must make all turns to the left (for a left traffic pattern).

Last edited:
Most of the airports in question here are going to be in Class E rather than G are they not?

91.127 Operating on or in the vicinity of an airport in Class E airspace.

(a) Unless otherwise required by part 93 of this chapter or unless otherwise authorized or required by the ATC facility having jurisdiction over the Class E airspace area, each person operating an aircraft on or in the vicinity of an airport in a Class E airspace area must comply with the requirements of §91.126.

(b) Departures. Each pilot of an aircraft must comply with any traffic patterns established for that airport in part 93 of this chapter.

(c) Communications with control towers. Unless otherwise authorized or required by ATC, no person may operate an aircraft to, from, through, or on an airport having an operational control tower unless two-way radio communications are maintained between that aircraft and the control tower. Communications must be established prior to 4 nautical miles from the airport, up to and including 2,500 feet AGL. However, if the aircraft radio fails in flight, the pilot in command may operate that aircraft and land if weather conditions are at or above basic VFR weather minimums, visual contact with the tower is maintained, and a clearance to land is received. If the aircraft radio fails while in flight under IFR, the pilot must comply with §91.185.
Interesting that Class E doesn't specify.

Most of the airports I use for training are G to 700 (below pattern altitude) then E to 8500 and then B to 12,500 then E again until it's A.

I think the left turns operating in Class G would be encountered much less than the norm.

EDIT.....I stuck my foot in my mouth again. I didn't see the stipulation that everything in 91.126 applies as well. All turns to the left in the airport traffic area it is.........

Last edited:
Most of the airports in question here are going to be in Class E rather than G are they not?

Interesting that Class E doesn't specify.

Most of the airports I use for training are G to 700 (below pattern altitude) then E to 8500 and then B to 12,500 then E again until it's A.

I think the left turns operating in Class G would be encountered much less than the norm.

EDIT.....I stuck my foot in my mouth again. I didn't see the stipulation that everything in 91.126 applies as well. All turns to the left in the airport traffic area it is.........

Your EDIT comment is correct:

91.127 Operating on or in the vicinity of an airport in Class E airspace.

(a) Each person operating an aircraft on or in the vicinity of an airport in a Class E airspace area must comply with the requirements of §91.126.

Perhaps you mean this regulation:

Great, so how does that regulation tie into joining the downwind from a 45? Somewhere in there, you're going to have to turn to the right, or perhaps when joining from a 45 you could do a 315 degree left turn. I guess that would comply with the regs.

This is going to go back and forth keep your head on a swivel and communicate its the best thing you can do. They're is always going to be some idiot that can and will kill you and it's impossible to predict which direction he is coming from.

Latest resources

Back