• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Traffic Pattern Entry

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The objective of all of this is to "see and avoid". All above info is good...but it does depend upon the weather, traffic already in the pattern, airport, etc...

The objective of all of this is to "see and avoid". All above info is good...but it does depend upon the weather, traffic already in the pattern, airport, etc...

Yes this is all true.

What do you folks think of straight in approaches at non-towered airports? Or entering on base or crosswind?

At least the 45 degree right turn is discribed in the AIM and AC90-66A

You could argue that the right teardrop is not in the vicinity of the airport, as it could (and should) be done a few miles away. (Not that "vicinity" has been defined anywhere)

Last edited:
You could argue that the right teardrop is not in the vicinity of the airport, as it could (and should) be done a few miles away. (Not that "vicinity" has been defined anywhere)
There is really nothing about in the vicinity of the airport. It just says, "when approaching an airport for landing, make all turns to the left." So that says a right teardrop is in violation of the FAR. It implies that a straight in is OK, is says that anything but a right turn is OK, but not a big right turn like a teardrop to the right to enter on the 45. If you want to come across the field and into traffic, a left 135 degree turn from a crosswind to a 45 degree entry is OK to, and there is really nothing wrong with simply flying from crosswind to a downwind leg either.

VFR pattern entry!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH

Hoo, boy.

I've been aviating for awhile now and this subject is one of those where fifteen pilots will give you thirty-five different opinions...all valid and backed up by lots of quotations!

Seems like each airport has it's own "local expert/public service instructor" who is a real authority until he goes to another airport.

Since most of the info is advisory in nature, there is a reason they call them "uncontrolled airports".

Y'all look out of the cockpit a lot and be real careful.

"HaHaHa....uh, oh, here comes another one....look out! What's he doing?!!!

Is this right traffic, or.....wrong traffic? Wait til I get on the ground!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH

Hoo, boy.

I've been aviating for awhile now and this subject is one of those where fifteen pilots will give you thirty-five different opinions...all valid and backed up by lots of quotations!

Seems like each airport has it's own "local expert/public service instructor" who is a real authority until he goes to another airport.

Since most of the info is advisory in nature, there is a reason they call them "uncontrolled airports".

Y'all look out of the cockpit a lot and be real careful.

"HaHaHa....uh, oh, here comes another one....look out! What's he doing?!!!

Is this right traffic, or.....wrong traffic? Wait til I get on the ground!"

Isn't this the truth! No doubt! Good Post!

Talk about a funny topic with 400 different scenarios.

You can either do a cross-country around the airport to join up with a 45 degree entry leg for the downwind or you can cross over the field, read the traffic pattern display at the wind sock and then fly away from the field to maneuver for a 45 degree entry leg to the downwind. Like it was mentioned here, I'd definitely cross at least 1000' above TPA. For those that may not be aware, turbine aircraft are supposed to fly their patterns at 1500' AGL. 1000' above TPA will only put you 500' above those aircraft.

Be safe out there!!

Here is my .02 cents. Let us say the runway is 36/18 and traffic is standard and landing 36. As stated before, there are times I would use and teach the crosswind entry at TPA. Any departing aircraft is well below on the climbout. This also keep complete downwind leg in plain view as well as any traffic entering on the 45 ahead of my aircraft. I would use this method at night or very light traffic. If it is a traffic heavy day then I would try to approach from ESE ifpossible ( little planning is required for that, once again keeping entire traffic area in front of me. Crossing over the airport 1000 above TPA on a WNW heading on a parallel course just north of 45 entry and above it. Approx 4-5 miles I would start left descending turn onto 45 entry or in trail of previous traffic on same entry. I tried to tell students to make as many turns as practical to the left since they sit on left and have better vis, especially in low wing aircraft. In turbine equipment I would fly a crosswind at 1500 TPA. I dont like making blind turns to come back in a large t-prop with a minimum maneuver speed of 140 - 160 KIAS.

I think this is a topic that people often over think. The AIM recommends entering on the downwind at a 45 degree angle at TPA. Then you have the regs which say that when approaching an airport for landing, all turns must be made to the left. That is the only regulatory requirement. I have flown with many examiners, other pilots, etc., and in the end, it has been my experience that nobody really cares as long as you do it in a safe manner.

A few years ago I came very close to having a midair collision with someone doing an overhead entry at pattern altitude. I had been taught to cross over the airport above TPA and set up for a 45 entry.

As for the left-hand turns, my understanding is that applies to your turns in the pattern (i.e. crosswind to downwind, base to final, etc.). The turn from 45 to the left downwind is a right-hand turn so it doesn't apply.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back