Tracking Steve Fossett

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
User997 said:
I really wish this media-wh0re would just go away and leave us alone.

I thought CNN put it best the other day:
"If Fossett succeeds on this quest, his personal achievement will be significant. But its impact on aviation history will be limited since the era of barrier-breaking aviation records -- Charles Lindbergh's New York-to-Paris flight and Wiley Post's around-the-world flight -- has long passed, said Bob van der Linden, a curator at the Smithsonian Institution's National Air and Space Museum.

"Being able to stay up there and stay alert, being able to do that is terrific, but it's not going to change the world," van der Linden said. "The new barrier, that's spaceflight, because you're pushing the edges of the unknown. Aviation is pretty well-known now."

IMO, it's quite a neat thing to do something that means absolutely nothing to anyone but yourself.

What matters is your own goals, dreams, and sense of personal fulfillment. Who cares what others think?

aerodromebum said:
IMO, it's quite a neat thing to do something that means absolutely nothing to anyone but yourself.

What matters is your own goals, dreams, and sense of personal fulfillment. Who cares what others think?

Exactly right. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I could, just to be able to say "I" did that, and Piss on what anyone else thinks about it. If you dont like it, dont watch it, read about it, etc. As far as Fossett being a bad pilot, hell, I've read that Lindberg couldnt navigate his way out of a paper bag that was open on one end, and look what HE did! Amelia Earhart was a TERRIBLE pilot according to most reports, and even though she did finally manage to kill herself, look at the accomplishments she achieved prior to that. Sorry, but the words of a single program manager at some Flightsafety location is hardly enough evidence to say that "evidently the guy's not a very good stick". Apparently he flies well enough!

aerodromebum said:

And that's absolutely fine in itself, just don't wh0re yourself out to the media and cram it down our throats everytime. You can fulfill all kinds of personal achievement without the media every knowing or being involved.

This is what separates you from him.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back