Tow Planes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DC-3TP

What is the best tow plane and the most fun to fly?

I've been towed by Pawnee, 150hp Cub and Aero Boero (Argentine built Maule-wannabe). No comments on the tow, I've only flown behind the tow. I'd bet the pawnee's the best ride, I've seen pics with the pawnee towin 2 gliders at once.

I read the DC-3/C47 made for a nice tow. :D

http://www.atterburybakalarairmuseum.org/CG4A_C47_color_photo.jpg

+1 for the pawnee.

+2 for the pawnee if it is equipped with slightly stronger engine, four blade silenced propeller, and extra silent exhaust muffler.

Fun to fly, lots of power, and glider tows can be completed very effectivly with "extreme" climb rates. The climb rate of a pawnee with two ASK-21 behind is comparable to only one ASK-21 behind a cub or cherokee, and in my experience the pawnee gains twice the altitude before crossing the treshold at the end of the runway during takeoffs, which adds up to more safety.

And at typical 3000ft tows, the pawnee will be on the ground and about to line up for a new tow before a typical cherokee or cub have climbed to 2000ft, even if the pawnee took off last!

Last edited:
DC-3TP said:
What is the best tow plane and the most fun to fly?

I have towed in a Pawnee, Husky, and Citabria and the Pawnee is the best by far. In addition to the power, I like the visibility better. I just finished towing in the 15m Nationals here at Montague, CA and towing into the gaggle in the Husky was unnerving at times.

The Pawnee is sweet, plenty of power if you have the bigger motor and good visibility. I've towed in a Callair also and its like slightly uglier Pawnee but still fun. And the 180hp super cubs are sweet, especially without a glider attached.

Anyone going to the Region 12's next month, be careful I might be towing you!!!

I've towed in a Pawnee, Maule, 172, and 150.

Pawnee, hands down! That's her in my avatar.

My first glider instructor used to tow in a 65-hp Champ...said they had to take turns going over the trees. I thought that was kinda funny til he told me how they actually did it ;)

Fly safe!

David

Pawnee, Truck, Husky, Super Cub, Cessna 150-150, Cessna 172-180, Cessna 182.

The pawnee comes in a lot of flavors, every one of which is very anemic. It does okay towing a glider, and is marginal with a load on. They all tow to altitude, all do the same job.

Pawnee with the hutch conversion made a better airplane, but there aren't many around. As far as propellers and "silencers)...a pawnee is a pawnee is a pawnee. A weak supercub with the wing on the bottom.

avbug said:
Pawnee, Truck, Husky, Super Cub, Cessna 150-150, Cessna 172-180, Cessna 182.

The pawnee comes in a lot of flavors, every one of which is very anemic. It does okay towing a glider, and is marginal with a load on. They all tow to altitude, all do the same job.

Pawnee with the hutch conversion made a better airplane, but there aren't many around. As far as propellers and "silencers)...a pawnee is a pawnee is a pawnee. A weak supercub with the wing on the bottom.

All those towplanes and you think the Pawnee is anemic. The three I've flown have been spectacular. Tons of power, stable as hell. Heck you could have just trimmed for pitch and pulled out a sandwich and the guy behind would never have known.

Latest resources

Back