Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ShawnC

Skirts Will Rise
I was wondering does my glider time count as total time for the airlines?

Lets say an job had a min requirment of 2,500hrs, and I have 2450 TT Airplane, would I be able to use my glider TT to get me over the mark and have a chance at the job?

Glider time

Sure, it does. It counts as glider and PIC. But, the preponderance of your time must be airplane. Show them too much glider time in your total and PIC and you'll be laughed at right out the door.

Your glider experience just might get you that job, and here's why. I knew an instructor at Riddle who was a glider pilot. He got an interview with Express I in Nashville. Turns out, the captain who interviewed him was also a glider pilot. They started talking and, well, the rest is history.

I believe it is also possible to sit in a hot air balloon that is tethered to the ground and count that as total time! I've heard a story of a guy sitting in a balloon to build total time towards his license.

Believe it..... or not?!

Shawn,

You're talking about several different kinds of "times." Yes, your glider experience counts toward total time; it is flight time, and is pilot time, and this is why in a different thread you were counseled to keep it all in one logbook.

Chances are that for a few token hours, nobody will care. If most of your experience is in a hot air balloonor glider and you're trying to represent it as flight experience for a job, it won't be looked upon favorably (any more than 2,500 hours of safety pilot time would be looked upon favorably). Include it with your totals, all in one logbook (don't make an interviewer add up totals from different logbooks).

Many firms discount certain types of flight time. This may include other categories or classes of aircraft other than airplanes. Generally flight engineer time is not considered (not always).

You're also referring to minimum times. If the airline states that 2,500 hours is a minimum experience requirement, chances are that their competitive minimums are closer to 5,000 hours (especially right now). You may be able to apply, but not to compete. (As one agency once told me; "Thanks for applying. You don't stand a chance, but it makes our stats look good. Thanks again!").

You may place in your logbook and count toward total time all times that comply with 14 CFR 61.51. You may place other times too, but these fall outside what will be considered acceptable, and those times won't help you at all. Put all your times in one log, separating it for category and class (and tows, as applicable), count it all for total time, and then break down the times on an application form as each company requires. There is not an industry standard for what a company may require; there are many methods and many companies, and a lot of them do it dfferently. Good luck!

In an interview you could always bring up the 757 in Canada that ran out of fuel. If he hadn't been a glider pilot the outcome would have been a lot diffrent. Does that mean that the airlines would look down on shuttle time/////////??????.

Oh the Gimi Glider, never heard the full story on that thing, I might have to look it up for a good read.

Only in Canada can they run out of gas, at altitude.

I always wondering about logging shuttle time. I have heard several stories about shuttle pilots flying at our glider port.

I have always wondered does the pilot log just the landing or can he log the blast off too. What catagory would the blast off be considered? Obvious the landing would be glider.

Years ago we used to fly the shuttle astronauts to Moscow for whatever on the 727. I used to fly the KEF-Moscow part all the time. On the way back it was the FO's leg, since in the 727 it was always a matter of pride to go the flight idle and spool up at 500 feet and land-the perfect visual approach. We were at 410 and starting our decent to KEF, we had one of the astronauts on the JS. I told the FO that I would buy him a case of beer if he never touched the thrust levers until 500 feet. He being an old navy pilot took on the challenge. He threw out the gear at 800 feet stretching that glide for everything he could get, but he spooled up right at 500 feet on speed and got the case of beer. The best part was that the whole crew got to help him drink it. The astronaut offered to sign us all up for the shuttle, I guess that is as close as I will ever come to doing the real thing.

Have you flown a glider yet? If you haven't and you are in the Orlando area, goto Seminole Lake. They are closed mondays but are open every other day. Be sure to call ahead though, they are very busy.

Their website is http://www.soarfl.com

They are the biggest on the east coast. And most of them do it for the fun of it, one of their tow pilots has over 11,000hrs and right now is completeing school for a 747 type rating. He says he will start flying cargo at night real soon.

lighten up Avbug

My only commentary on this thread involves Avbug's idiotic career advice regarding minimums verses competitive times. If you meet minimums, you should apply. Period. Forget the pessimists who say you aren't 'competitive'. There is much more than total flight time that completes the illusive equation for hiring. Many of my former classmates and co-workers and I are young, with near minimums for our respective airlines...Southwest, Cotinental, AirTran, etc.

Steady there, tough guy. I never advised a soul not to apply. I simply defined competitive minimums, vs. published minimums.

I gave constructive advice on arranging a logbook to benifit the origional poster in an interview, and offered the advice (correctly) that time in the glider may be counted for total time. Finally, I wished the poster good luck in his efforts.

Where did I offer idiotic advice? Watch yourself.

Latest resources

Back