Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bobbysamd said:
I had a vision waiver...
Tread it carefully if you seek medical advice from an AME. I still would go elsewhere.
I think we're basically saying the same thing, but perhaps I should have been more clear. Certain conditions can be or are disqualifying. Other conditions require the issuance of waivers. Those types of conditions are best handled by outfits such as leftseat.com. The rest, assuming you don't have a jerk for an AME (You'll likely know the answer to that by their reputation.), can be handled by your friendly AME.

A medical certificate is nothing more than a periodic "snapshot" of your health. You can not legally operate an airplane with a disqualifying medical condition even if you possess an unexpired medical certificate. As far as when you have to report changes in your medical condition. Most of them can wait until your next physical. The big ones, alcohol or drug offenses, have to be reported directly to the FAA within 60 days. Those particular offenses would probably be best handled by the best aviation attorney you could find, not Leftseat.com or your friendly local AME.

Lead Sled

I think we're basically saying the same thing, but perhaps I should have been more clear. Certain conditions can be or are disqualifying. Other conditions require the issuance of waivers. Those types of conditions are best handled by outfits such as leftseat.com. The rest, assuming you don't have a jerk for an AME . . . .
(emphasis added)

There was no leftseat.com in 1989. The SOB had no business whatsoever pulling my waiver. My vision was not in the least bit disqualifying, and he knew it. There was no reason for him to change my waiver. Nothing had changed during the seven years I had held medicals previously and nothing was different at that time. What he did was oppressive and out-of-line.

Once more, and I cannot emphasize this enough, be careful about whom you seek advice about your medical conditions. I would recommend against asking an AME first, because he/she is the FAA's industrial physician. For all you know, doing so could result in a letter from the FAA one day revoking or suspending your medical.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back