Total Knee Replacement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

nosewheel

Just found out I need a new knee....complete replacement. I,m just curious if anyone has had this done and how the Fed's were to deal with as far as keeping a medical . I know of a collegue who lost his leg and is still flying which is great but ,he went through alot to get back in the seat. I would like to think that it would be easier for me and that I could have the surgery then report it on my next physical. Any comment's ?

I've known a couple of guys that went through knee and hip replacements. They never specifically mentioned any problems with keeping a medical - other than the routine recovery period. I would probably just talk to your AME about it.

Lead Sled

Lead Sled

Thanx for the info. I kind of figured it wouldn't be a big problem but I just wanted to get some input from those in the know or who have experienced it. Thanx again.

Medical advice

Lead Sled said:
I would probably just talk to your AME about it.
Do not seek advice from an AME. An FAA Aviation Medical Examiner is the FAA's industrial physician. His/her job is to look out for the FAA's interests and not yours, meaning there is no true doctor-patient relationship.

Two good sources of legitimate medical advice are AOPA, if you are a member, and www.leftseat.com. Good luck with your knee replacement.

BTW, you can make it back from a knee replacement. My mother, who is nearing 80, had one knee done at 75 and the other done at 77. She recovered. She also had half a hip replacement at age 78.

bobbysamd said:
Do not seek advice from an AME...
Sorry, but I disagree. Three years ago, I had 1/2 of my thryoid gland removed. Over the years, I had developed a trust and confidence in him and I asked him prior to the surgury what I would have to do to get my physical back. (They were afraid that the tumor might be cancerous.) This guy jumped through all kinds of hoops to help me out. Ten years ago, I broke my leg. Again, I called my AME and asked what I would have to do to get on flying status. The guy was very helpful. Outfits like www.leftseat.com are very helpful under certain conditions, but I don't think that this is one of them. just give him a call prior to your surgury.

Lead Sled

I'd make sure you REALLY DEFINATELY need a new knee before you let someone screw with yours. I tore my left ACL and sprained my MCL pretty good while having a not so good day on my YZ 250, after getting the ACL reconstructed my knee is nice and stabe again but the MCL is still a little loose.

My knee is not the same after the injury and I'm sure that after the surgery you're talking about your knee will not be anywhere as good as the original.

Nosewheel- Back in college in 90 I was run over by a car and dragged down the road!! They eventually stopped;) but I received some serious wounds. Among the list includes, a plate in my head with 4 screws, and also a massive plate in my right hip with 6 screws and wire around the end of my illiac bone.

I disclosed my hospital record to the FAA when I got my student cert in 96. I am currently an Airline Captain and have had no problem. If I ran down down the series of operations I listed on my medical app it would be too long here!! Thank God for, "previously reported"!! Once you list it and there is no change you never have to go through the reporting again.

Just list it and move on. As long as your heart is ok, eyes, etc you should have no problem.

BTW, when the AME asked if I had any problems I replied that, "my hip hurt if I wore my belt too tight". His response, "don't wear your belt too tight". I swear to God!! Cheers, Wil

AMEs

bobbysamd said:
Do not seek advice from an AME. An FAA Aviation Medical Examiner is the FAA's industrial physician. His/her job is to look out for the FAA's interests and not yours . . . .
Lead Sled said:
Sorry, but I disagree . . .
I had a vision waiver. I went to this AME is Prescott, Arizona in 1989 who turned out to be an opthalmologist. He examined me and asked if I had double vision. Huh??!!?? What an absurd question; I said "no." I never had double vision in my life! I was flying and working and doing fine with my life.

The SOB threatened not to issue my medical. I told him I was renewing my First to get ready to have FSDO review my logbooks for the ATP written and implored him to issue it. He made me wait a long while and finally carried on about how he had to call the regional flight surgeon before he could issue my medical. He made me take a different waiver. It was entirely, fully and completely bogus! There was no reason for him to pull my waiver. This man was the FAA's industrial physician in every way.

I finally found a different AME in Phoenix who was a cardiologist, pilot, Bonanza owner, and great. I later went to a great optometrist in Prescott who was a pilot. He got my previous waiver restored and obtained the FAA's permission for me to wear contacts. That man was a prince.

Tread it carefully if you seek medical advice from an AME. I still would go elsewhere.

Thanx again for all the input. There is no doubt I need the replacement as this problem is the result of a serious motor cycle accident back in 1970 and after several procedures on this knee it's finally gave up the ghost. I guess the big question is...should I just have it done then after I'm fully recovered report it to my AME on my next physical or, am I required by Law to report it before the surgery and/or report it before I return to the flying job. I would have in the past, had No problem talking this over with my long time Dr in DTW but he's (Doc Ross) no longer around. What a shame!! I have a few months to think it over before I have the operation so I'll make the decision when the time comes. Again, thanks all, for your comments.:D

Last edited:
nosewheel said:
I guess the big question is...should I just have it done then after I'm fully recovered report it to my AME on my next physical or, am I required by Law to report it before the surgery and/or report it before I return to the flying job.

I've wondered about this myself. What's a pilot's responsibility for reporting new medical conditions after a medical has been issued?

Latest resources

Back