tOP 5 rEGIONALS TO WORK FOR ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TROLL,

If you want to fly a 310 - I'm happy for you.

If you think that a major airline gives a s%#* ABOUT 310 pic you are saddly mistaken.

If you want to be an airline pilot, you really should get on with a regional.

As Fat Bastard said " if it's not pt121 it's crap!".

Dep676

Don't let the hourly rates mislead you, last year I made over 37k as an rj fo working 3-4 days a week, and that while only making $19 an hour the first three months of the year. This year I'll be well over $40k working 3-4 nights a week at $35 hr. Next year, I'll be an rj cp with under 36 months with the company making approx $55-$65k a year depending on how much they fly me on reserve and when I can hold a line. Two years from now I'd bet I'll easily be over $70k. Five years from now I'll have thousands of hours of Pt. 121 PIC jet time. (hopefully hiring will pick up by then)

What is the going rate for a King Air captain? 40K? How much time does one spend sitting around the FBO? cleaning airplanes? being on call? If/when hiring at the majors resumes will you have the time they are looking for? How many guaranteed days of per month? I turned down a 135 Charter job that would have paid double what I made my first year at here. Only 4 days off a month, I usually have 12-15 here.

By the way, I havn't been drinking the koolaid. There are many things that could stand improvement at the regional airlines. I voted against our last pay package because it didn't raise first year pay (I was already in my second year). I think regional fo pay should be at least $25 an hour, $30 for someone starting in an RJ, if not more. But until that happens you have to start somewhere. Pay raises for first year pilots will only come about by the pilots themselves pushing for it. From my viewpoint, that wasn't the priority during our last negoitiations.

I don't fly people and therefore don't load their luggage without getting paid. I fly freight. It doesn't talk back, take craps on galley carts or try to hide bombs in its shoes. I don't want to fly a 310 forever, but as a first year regional pilot, how many weekends and holidays do you get off? I haven't worked on a weekend or holiday since I started my job. How many days are you home a month? I'm home, in my bed, every night. Yes, someday I do want to fly a 74,75,76,777 or whatever, but for now, quality of life is more important. And i am looking farther down the road than just first year. We have 40 Lear's. With starting pay at $40-50K all the way up to close to $100K.

And to whoever said 121 time is God and 135 PIC time in a C310 sucks, i'd much rather be logging that than 75 hours a month of gear actuator time. And checking my caller ID to see if it's scheduling? Come on. Is that anyway to live?

Pilot877 said:
Troll, you dont have to be jealous....someday you might get to be an airline pilot too. I have to say that I gave up flying live people in 402's to be a "button pusher at 35,000 feet" and I wouldnt trade the RJ for a stinking old twin Cessna, ever. As far as salary goes, you have to look a little farther down the road than just first year. But, hey, to each his own.....if you love flying 310's and it makes you happy, go for it. Oh yeah, as far as being a "slave" goes, at least I will never again have to load luggage and cargo on the aircraft and not get paid for it. I tell you what, you dont even know what you are talking about.

Troll

You really don't have a clue do you?

Missing holidays and birthdays is part of the price we pay to have the best job in the world!

No job is perfect but if you would rather fly in the crap at 6000' while I get served ice cream at 40,000'-go for it dude!

It must be real exciting flying between MCO and ATL 4 times a week. Not to mention all the valuable experience you are getting flying into only 2 airports!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Troll:

You know, I was in your shoes once too. I flew checks at night except i was doing it in a MU-2 in the SW and Rockies. Pay was excellent but i asked myself just what you said. I don't want to fly this thing forever. So i swallowed everything I had, got hired by a regional and have not looked back. True, 135 is different and has it's advantages, but it also has its disadvantages if your not planning on staying there forever like you seem to be thinking.

First year is rough no matter what regional you go to. Quality of life becomes better as your senority grows. (except eagle, Strictly word of mouth).

You might look at the horizan alot, but look at the ground once in awhile.

Hi!

EA1 is now called Pinnacle-NW Airlink. They're based in DTW, MSP and MEM. They fly mostly (all) new CRJs. The pilots I've talked to like it, but they all mention very low pay.

They are 100% owned by NWA, and they will fly you into training, then:
No Pay
No Housing
No Perdiem
No Jumpseating allowed until completed training.

Their new CRJs are awesome!

They used to have quick upgrade to captain, but I don't believe they do now.

Cliff
GRB

WEll I havent seen anyone post this yet so I guess I'll be the "paying your dues guy". And thats what its all about. I've been at coex 6 years. I get any day off I want, I control my life. I dont get scared if I awnser the phone and its sced. I did take a pay cut for the first 2 years I was hired and that was from flight instructing. If I never made the move or moved to 135, how would my life be now? I am pretty sure I wouldnt be making 65K a year with15 days off a month.

Re: Troll
I love my job, staying overnight in different places doesnt bother me, and a pilot who doesnt work weekends and holidays is a rare exception. I havent had a weekend off since I began flying for a living so I really dont miss it now.
Nobody has tried to crap in my shoes or but bombs in the galley carts (or was that the other way around, haha...) If you think all a First Officer does is sling gear, you dont really know that airline pilots trade off flying legs, and the pilot not flying takes care of the gear, flaps, etc.... I found one really great use for my 135 time, and that was for getting myself into a 121 job. When the good folks at crew scheduling call me up, I am always happy to fly because this is the best job in the world!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back