• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tool sighting

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You mean all the free time on the road away from my family? Yeah.... We are all well compensated for that...Sarcasm....look it up.

Despite the frivilous topic of which spurred this thread, I am curious about your attitude towards the industry regarding compensation. How many factory workers do you know of, that are in direct control of multi-million dollar equipment carrying thousands of people each month, being directly responsible for their safety and having to be right every time. I'm not sure of what you mean by a "GOD" in uniform. I could care less about the "EGO" and "Being a God in uniform", but I do feel that we should all be fairly compensated due to the liability and risks we take as well as the time we spend away from our families.

Insecure, immature and whining.....are you kidding me?

Hmmm....well now that you mention it, I do whine about stuff sometimes.

insecure ....no..

immature....hmmm....yes... ...ask my wife. I still think fart jokes are funny. I'm a guy, that's part of the job.

In short, I agree that pilots wages have gone down (and never quite proper at the regional level) but automation has concurrently gone up too, canceling out a lot of experience the seasoned guys used to bring, negating some salary windfall. The industry has come up with a much cheaper way to generate and exploit pilots. DON'T expect that model to change ever in the future.

Low wages or not, having to sit, sit and sit around doing nothing generates a sentiment of resentment and the genesis of the imfamous pilot whine.

Don't forget the mechanics (turning wrenches on million dollar equipment) who preceed your judgment as well.

The god comment goes to the asinine discussion of where and when to wear your uniform. Those who revere it so highly have some serious insecurity problems.

:)

When I flew charter we went to eat in our uniforms all the time when at an outstation. What's the big deal. Nobody cares.

It just takes one D-bag hanging out at Starbucks in uniform on a day off to ruin it for the rest of us.

In short, I agree that pilots wages have gone down (and never quite proper at the regional level) but automation has concurrently gone up too, canceling out a lot of experience the seasoned guys used to bring, negating some salary windfall. The industry has come up with a much cheaper way to generate and exploit pilots. DON'T expect that model to change ever in the future.

Low wages or not, having to sit, sit and sit around doing nothing generates a sentiment of resentment and the genesis of the imfamous pilot whine.

Don't forget the mechanics (turning wrenches on million dollar equipment) who preceed your judgment as well.

The god comment goes to the asinine discussion of where and when to wear your uniform. Those who revere it so highly have some serious insecurity problems.

:)

Agree with alot of your points.

Point one. Mechanics, while definitely to be revered for their efforts, are often sitting back safely on planet earth smoking a fat stogie when the sh!t hits the fan. Along with the jacka$$ mgmt guys btw.

Point two. Automation. After 10 years of flying mode control panels, let me take a second to tell you what I think of automation. How many times has your pos IBM (or Mac....if you prefer...I do) crashed for one thing or another. Ever fly the CRJ...control-alt-delete. Reboot.

Don't get me wrong, automation is great and does alot to reduce workloads, but remember "garbage in....garbage out". When the automation is programmed incorrectly or fails out right you are setting yourself up for a big fat violation (ASAP is your friend) or worse if you don't know what you are doing. Two cases come to mind recently, Colgan Turkish Air. I hope there is more to the story than three guys sitting back watching the speed bleed off for 90 seconds or simply an unrecoverable stall spin scenario for the Colgan crew. We'll have to wait and see.

So the argument that automation "cancels out" what a seasoned pilot brings to industry is complete horseshiite.

One point you do make well. The industry i.e. management, has definitely continued to find ways to exploit pilot labor. It's hard to deny that when a pilot group defies management's tactics to impliment cost reductions (pay cuts), there are way too many eager beavers willing to jump in the right seat of that shiny jet because it pays a hell of alot more than flight instructing. It used to be the 50 seat jet that was called the scope buster, then it went 70, then 90 and now over a 100 seat RJ (insert laugh).In other words, they have found ways to go around, over or through scope clauses.

If you don't expect change, then surely you will never see it. KDA for some of those ex-ATA guys out there.

On the uniform thing, I see several professional peeps walking into LA fitness in full uniform everyday im there. Doctors, nurses, corporate people etc. With badges and everything. Even an ASA pilot from time to time. Nothing wrong with wearing your uniform out in public if its within reason.

2nd, the above poster is correct. 38/hr FO RJ pay is ALOT better than flight instructor pay.

I wore my uniform into Food4Less last week after getting in from work.. I got a lot of weird stares, not sure if it was because I was a pilot and probably the only white customer in the store, or maybe they thought I was la migra... Unfortunately I can't afford the expensive grocery stores ;-)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAAA!!!!!!!!

Latest resources

Back