• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Too much reverse

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"I have been in the music industry for 20 years. And If I can say anything unequivocally is that we NEED more cowbell!!!"

Brake energy, on older airplanes like the DC-8 if you used the brakes to stop you had to go to a brake energy table and check landing weight. You could have times of over one hour before you could take off again. So using reversers to slow the airplane down may be procedural for some airplanes. I know that in the L-188 we never touched the brakes until we were leaving the runway.

Plan your turnoff

My personal fave is when the FO is flying. During landing rollout, 80-90 knots and a taxiway is coming up with plenty of time to make it without drama. The next taxiway is 1/4 to 1/2 mile down the runway and he's not slowing enough to make this one.

"Let's try to make Charlie 3, there."

No further braking, slams full reverse in.

"Use the brakes."

Microscopic and temporary increase in braking. Get to 60 knots about 100 yards short of the turnoff, giving me the choice of taking over early, braking hard or trundling at low speed down to the next one.

Last edited:
Because it's fun and I like hearing the dentures hit the cockpit door.

My fav is when captains wanna get off the runways early (when there is no one else on final)... we get paid by the minute!

flyslow

We get underblock on top of guarantee. Getting to the gate fast means more money and fewer missed connections on those 45 minute ATL turns.

We get underblock on top of guarantee. Getting to the gate fast means more money and fewer missed connections on those 45 minute ATL turns.

Who do you work for? I can see several problems with this. First, you will burn more fuel in an effort to get to the gate under block, and second if you get there too early, there may not be a gate availible. I guess it just comes down to company priorities. At my company the top priority seems to be to make every employee's life as miserable as possible.:crying:

Latest resources

Back