• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Too much reverse

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, for those of you who have ever flown corporate you know it's the "don't spill the bosses drink" mentality. I wish more airline pilots felt the same way. Granted in some instances, ie another aircraft on short final, its ok to slam on the reverse and the brakes. Otherwise, lets just crack em' and roll out a bit longer. It might, MIGHT add 2 minutes to the taxi...

(oh yeah, if you ever land on the 23's at IND then its ok too. GA guys even do it just cause it's 1000 miles to the FBOs and terminal)

Who do you work for? I can see several problems with this. First, you will burn more fuel in an effort to get to the gate under block, and second if you get there too early, there may not be a gate availible. I guess it just comes down to company priorities. At my company the top priority seems to be to make every employee's life as miserable as possible.:crying:

I could give a rat's you know what about wasting fuel to get to the gate. I must work at a great company that really cares for its employees!!!

Who do you work for? I can see several problems with this. First, you will burn more fuel in an effort to get to the gate under block, and second if you get there too early, there may not be a gate availible. I guess it just comes down to company priorities. At my company the top priority seems to be to make every employee's life as miserable as possible.:crying:

The corporate culture here is "we're not happy, 'til you're not happy". If they would replace premium (here comes the bashing of wms) with rigs and minimum pay then more pilots would be conservative with fuel, etc and still make more in the end. It would be win-win for everyone.

As far as gate space things have gotten better, but I'd still rather show up 20 minutes early and get in on time waiting for a gate, than to be late because we arrived on time and had to wait 20 minutes for a gate.

Last edited:
My fav is when captains wanna get off the runways early (when there is no one else on final)... we get paid by the minute!

flyslow

So you deliberately roll out long to pad your times? Your little way of stickin' it to The Man?

Like I said:

plenty of time to make it without drama

The people in the back are the reason we people are in the front. Your professional ethic says get them to the gate comfortably and efficiently.

Thief.

reverse thrust is there too use, now some 100 hour FO is going to think hes doing something wrong using it, and one day he's gonna run off the end of the runway because he is afraid of not being a cool pilot. if its there use it, and that means porkin a fatty if available

Get to 60 knots about 100 yards short of the turnoff, giving me the choice of taking over early, braking hard or trundling at low speed down to the next one.

I always use the high speed at 60 knots.....that's why it's called a high speed.:)

(oh yeah, if you ever land on the 23's at IND then its ok too. GA guys even do it just cause it's 1000 miles to the FBOs and terminal)

We go to IND a whole lot at my company, and we don't get on the reverse or the brakes there. Come to think of it, our D.O. doesn't want us to get on the reverse or brakes unless we absolutely have to. It doesn't add much to the taxi if you can't make A5 off of 23R. Of course we do the "Don't spill the passenger's drink" policy.

Latest resources

Back