Too much emphasis on college

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pilotyip

Rick Edelman, syndicated financial advisor, is the host of a radio talk show. I was listening to him today and he went into a college is not for everyone presentation. Said according to his research of seven fastest growing jobs in the next decade only two required a college education. Going to his financial side, he said too many parents are going too deep into dept to send their kids to college and get degrees that do not lead to a job. This threatens the parent’s retirement and is not necessary. Now get this, he said an education is necessary to get a job in today's economy, but is not necessarily a college education. Too much emphasis on college

I don't think that kids getting a college education is a bad thing. I think parrents sacrificing their retirement to give it to them is. You can always finace education, however, you can not finance your retirement. So if you have to choose one over the other take care of your retirement. If you don't the kids are going to end up paying anyway!

The 30 fastest-growing occupations, 2008-18
(In thousands) (I only listed the top 7)

Occupation; training

Biomedical engineers; Bachelor's degree

Network systems and data communications analysts; Bachelor's degree

Home health aides; Short-term on-the-job training

Personal and home care aides; Short-term on-the-job
training

Financial examiners; Bachelor's degree

Medical scientists, except epidemiologists; Doctoral degree

Physician assistants; Master's degree

Occupation; training

training

You can also have a J.D from Harvard and ruin the economy of the United States.

bottom line is SKILLS that the MARKETPLACE NEEDS is what gets people jobs. Speak a foreign language, have computer skills, etc = more employable than a guy who can't write his own name or do simple math.

I recently underwent a self-initiated full-package cardio eval, (middle age now) and Radiology Tech told me he makes 85K a year. 1M population city with major hospitals and healthcare. 2 year degree, according to him. He said he will never be unemployed, with all the baby boomers, etc. He made a point to emphasis never. He said he had his job "lined up" before he even graduated.

His employer reimbursed half of his training.......(WTF !!!! Find that in this industry)

Hmm....

Last edited:
but not a real person

I recently underwent a self-initiated full-package cardio eval, (middle age now) and Radiology Tech told me he makes 85K a year. 1M population city with major hospitals and healthcare. 2 year degree, according to him. He said he will never be unemployed, with all the baby boomers, etc. He made a point to emphasis never. He said he had his job "lined up" before he even graduated.

His employer reimbursed half of his training.......(WTF !!!! Find that in this industry)

Hmm....
But according to the FI regulars he can never be real person you would want to hang out with or be seen with in public with because he does not have a college degree. The degree is the only thing that will define success in anyone's life.

Occupation; training

training

what about pilot? I thought the hiring boom was coming.

my hero

The hiring boom is coming and a college degree will not matter much. A college degree has absolutely nothing to do with flying an airplane.
someone gets it

Latest resources

Back