• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Too much emphasis on college

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
While I agree that a college degree has nothing to do with flying airplanes, what most pilots miss is that (at least in the general aviation side of the house, where I have spent all of my career) flying the airplane is only a very small part of the job. My thinking ability, common sense, business sense, customer service skills and ability to be a jack of all trades have landed jobs and kept me employed throughout the years. Where did I get those skills? Some did come from my educational background (high school college, and some graduate school). However, most of it came from paying attention and learning everything that I could from people who had more experience than me. Is college required? No, but it is part of an overall package that makes me the professional that I am today.

I considered that

bottom line is SKILLS that the MARKETPLACE NEEDS is what gets people jobs. Speak a foreign language, have computer skills, etc = more employable than a guy who can't write his own name or do simple math.

I recently underwent a self-initiated full-package cardio eval, (middle age now) and Radiology Tech told me he makes 85K a year. 1M population city with major hospitals and healthcare. 2 year degree, according to him. He said he will never be unemployed, with all the baby boomers, etc. He made a point to emphasis never. He said he had his job "lined up" before he even graduated.

His employer reimbursed half of his training.......(WTF !!!! Find that in this industry)

Hmm....

I had always considered a second career in radiology. I had a friend in college that had acquired enogh training and worked at the hospital one 24 hour shift and that paid for his tuition, apartment, etc.

USA Today article

someone gets it

Someone should paste the USA Today article about the woman who has $75k or $85k of debt for a degree and works as a cashier. It was from June 9th in the business section.

But according to the FI regulars he can never be real person you would want to hang out with or be seen with in public with because he does not have a college degree. The degree is the only thing that will define success in anyone's life.

If you had any reading skills at all, you would have seen that the radiologist does have an associate degree.

But not a 4 yr

If you had any reading skills at all, you would have seen that the radiologist does have an associate degree.
Yes I can read, but it is not the real degree like a 4 yr degree, which is the only thing that counts as education to many FIer's. BTW If he completed two years of radiology training he probably far surpasses many of the 4 yr degree people in the intensity of learning.

So what you're saying is, yes he did go to college. Well there ya go, YIP.

but not a real college

So what you're saying is, yes he did go to college. Well there ya go, YIP.
but not a four year degree college, he will never get an interview at DAL with a 2 yr college dgree. To the FI faithful it is only the four year degree that counts as college. Are bucking the FI faithful and declaring a 2 year degree is as good as a 4 year degree? You could be taken to task.

splitting hairs people. "College" = 4 year degree. 2 year degree (no matter if the school itself hangs the letters "college" on the front gate) = vocational type training, ie: specific skill set

but not a four year degree college, he will never get an interview at DAL with a 2 yr college dgree. To the FI faithful it is only the four year degree that counts as college. Are bucking the FI faithful and declaring a 2 year degree is as good as a 4 year degree? You could be taken to task.

That is entirely possible. If an employer wants you to have a 4-year degree then you better have a 4-year degree. I have seen more than one pilot job listing asking applicants to have a 4-year degree. Those who follow the YIP plan need not apply.

Someone should paste the USA Today article about the woman who has $75k or $85k of debt for a degree and works as a cashier. It was from June 9th in the business section.

I wonder if her degree was in a field that's in demand, if not, her problem is poor decision making skills, which will get you fired in any job whether you have a degree or not.

Latest resources

Back