Too late for ATC Career?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

VampyreGTX

Okay, I've been considering ATC. I've been really impressed on previous tours of towers and would love to do this as well. (actually, I'd love a center position) My first love is flying, but I can definitely live with flying for fun rather than a career. Heck, communicating to me during flight training was almost second nature. I could read back instructions just as easily as they were thrown at me, my instructors always were impressed by my radio skills with ATC.

However, my dilema is this. I'm 28, (February 6 birthday) so I have a little under 3 years to get into the field. I've seen the CTI schools, however, I don't have the finances (family and debt from my flight training, house, etc.) to attend a school for 2 years. I have a bachelors in Finance which is what I'm using now, but I'm not paid all that great, probably on par early career regional F/O's (upper 20's). I could not handle relocating the family for only 2 years and I could not support paying for the debt while adding rent and tuition to the mix. (the wife works as well, but her degree is in psychology which is not a high paying field either.) We are just getting by and we live at a pretty low-level. Pretty much only spending money on necessities.

What are the chances they will reopen the testing to 'off-the street' hires in the next 2 years? I know in early '04, the CTI pool was around 350-400 people (or so I read on here.) but I don't know what it is now or how many are enrolled in the CTI programs that will flow into the pool in the future. I know they used to offer a test and I don't think I'd have a hard time passing it as I test well, especially in subjects that interest me. Any input/insight/suggestions would be appreciated.

Its a tough call. They are going to hire 12,000 over the next 10 years I think it is, but there is currently a backlog of CTI grads from the hiring freeze that has been in place for quite a while now. Where do you live? Occassionally (but very rarely) they have needed controllers in a certain city so badly that they have posted adds in the local newspapers and given people the test without attending the CTI school. This happened several times at NY TRACON over the past few years, but NY TRACON also has a 90% fail rate. I also heard of it happening at least once in ABQ. I'm not sure if this has been going on anymore lately though. If they do reopen the OKC academy to off the streets I would consider going as well, but I don't think anyone knows at this point if that will happen or not.

C90 was desperate for a while. As was ZAU in Aurora. Keep your eyes open in the local paper anyway, you never know what might show up. C90 is also a very difficult facility to train in though.

They WILL open hiring to off the street applicants thru ATSAT. They need to. Take it from the guys on the inside, staffing is bad, and not everyone will make it. Will it be in 2 years? It better.

Last edited:
The demand is everywhere. The trick is to get hired somewhere by one facility and then transfer. Getting the receiving facility to pick you up isn't hard, but your current facility will rarely let you go without a fight. I have never transfered, that is what I've hears.

ISaidRightTurns said:
They WILL open hiring to off the street applicants thru ATSAT. They need to. Take it from the guys on the inside, staffing is bad, and not everyone will make it. Will it be in 2 years? It better.

For the ATSAT, what is the best way to study for this. I don't recall ever seeing a study guide for it.

Related Question:

What's the chances that someone gets into ATC "school" now and doesn't end up in ARTCC somewhere. I'm more interested in TRACON/Tower than Center. I'd love to get into it somewhere where it's busy. Any chance?

-mini

Last I heard the new hires are sent to ARTCC's or Level 7 towers. Your best bet is to go to an ARTCC if you can. ARTCC's are the highest paid facilities, and the radar experience will open up more opportunities to you later in your career. Level 7 towers are generally small non-radar facilities with no TRACON. Pay at a Level 7 tower is considerably lower than an ARTCC, plus you get no radar experience working there.

Latest resources

Back