to strike or not to strike...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

vmc-hound

This question is for the XJT pilots or whoever. At what point does ALPA say enough...F it and walk out during talks???? At what point do you begin slowdowns or whatever? 10 percent with profit sharing doesn't sound all that great considering the responsibility pilots have and the money pilots make the airlines!!!

Last edited:
ED-U-KAY-SHUN!!

ALPA doesn't. The National Mediation Board (NMB) has defined procedures via the Railway Labor Act. (RLA). But if there is a anti labor president, like (think of the Church Lady) I don't know, maybe ..........BUSH! Then he may stop a legitimate job action by invoking a Presidential Emergency Board (PEB) stripping a pilots group right to strike. But this is usually saved for the majors....

This is the right direction, another might have more details....

Last edited:
Heard a twisted rumor that the NMB flat-out told the XJet negotiating team that the NMB would not release the pilots to self-help for demands greater than Comair rates. True?

Don't flame, just heard it from our ALPA leadership...

OH Boy,

VMC-Hound you have got a long ways to go before any legal job action may be performed. Don't think in terms of weeks or months, think of YEARS! Hate to say it, but being in contract negotiations is a real bummer, but the bright side is that you will learn about what ALPA is and what ALPA is not.

Pilots

"the money the pilots make the airlines."

Two threads ago, there was an article about the cummlative losses the airline industry has experienced so if pilots make the airlines a lot of money, someone needs to tell their accountants.

One of the things that makes negotiation so tough is when a labor group thinks it makes this great contribution like " you could not fly the aircraft without the pilots."

Well that may be right, but, the fact is that pilots do not make the airlines any money. To produce a profit in this industry, a massive number of things must go right, and, the pilots are not a significant part of that compared to other issues.

This and some kind of false thinking about holding the professional line are two things that got us here.

There is a false thinking among management types that pilots are supposed to "share the pain" during tough times in the industry, while these same worthless individuals line their pockets with obscene amounts of money while furloughing their valued employees. These same worthless individuals will deny their valued employees their share of compensation when times are good.

I can't believe you would align yourself with this mindset. You must truly have no shame.

LAXSaabdude.

vmc-hound said:
At what point does ALPA say enough...F it and walk out during talks????

Um, if you're looking for ALPA to help you out, then you'd be looking in the wrong place. ALPA is the fox guarding your hen house that has gotten you to the place where you currently are.

PS Let me give you one more hint. If you think your low pay has anything to do with aircraft size then you'd be wrong.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
ED-U-KAY-SHUN!!

ALPA doesn't. The National Mediation Board (NMB) has defined procedures via the Railway Labor Act. (RLA). But if there is a anti labor president, like (think of the Church Lady) I don't know, maybe ..........BUSH! Then he may stop a legitimate job action by invoking a Presidential Emergency Board (PEB) stripping a pilots group right to strike. But this is usually saved for the majors....

This is the right direction, another might have more details....

I really don't think you can gereralize like that. It was Clinton, a so called labor friendly President who evoked the board when AMR pilots walked. They were on strike for 5 minutes.

Re: Pilots

Publishers said:
"the money the pilots make the airlines."
Well that may be right, but, the fact is that pilots do not make the airlines any money. To produce a profit in this industry, a massive number of things must go right, and, the pilots are not a significant part of that compared to other issues.

This and some kind of false thinking about holding the professional line are two things that got us here.

Ask the pioneers of aviation about holding "THE LINE" . Those guys held the line in a much rougher era where lockouts and union busting was the norm.
We are a large part of the industry hell we fly the GD planes! We make decisions about penetraiting those lovely Thunderstroms that dispatch tells us are dissapating(sp). We hand fly the approaches down to minimums 6,7,8 times a day.

Don't try to diminsh what we do for a living CHRIST the CEO's are making Millions off of the sweat of our brows and continue to run the airlines into the ground, it was there faulty leadership and greed that got us into this situation. WHY piss-poor leadership, not my inflated $13,000 1st year pay or my $16,000 2nd year pay.
PLEASE

Rant over
Jobear

Last edited:
Publishers never knows what the f*ck he's talking about. He just spouts that same old "this is a business, and I am a business man" BS. Then again...he DID write the book on it, so he knows EVERYTHING. Just ask him. He'll tell you. :rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back