• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

To Brian Bedford...Republic

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If Bedford wants to buy 2 companies on the verge of LIQUIDATION he has every right to do so and do whatever he wants with the companies. Its called capitalism. If you don't like it, go out and raise millions of dollars of your own capital, buy Midwest and Frontier, and pay them the big money you "think they deserve" Let me know how that works out for you....

You think the airline business is "capitalism"? Where did they teach you that? Government subsidizing most large carriers, which were built off of government mail contracts.

You think the airline business is "capitalism"? Where did they teach you that? Government subsidizing most large carriers, which were built off of government mail contracts.

Wow! How quickly we forget or never learned where all this came from. I really wonder where we be had airlines evolved on their own, instead of on government subsidies.

Completely agree with you on how the airlines were built. Now they stand-alone companies that need to learn how to make money in the post-deregulation environment. The gov't needs to stay out and let the strongest and most efficient carriers survive and grow.

Completely agree with you on how the airlines were built. Now they stand-alone companies that need to learn how to make money in the post-deregulation environment. The gov't needs to stay out and let the strongest and most efficient carriers survive and grow.

Tell that to......

Continental x2
US Airways x3 (incl. the America West bankruptcy in them)
United
Delta
NWA
etc etc

Folks....Settle down...
The reason the regionals are where they are today is because the mainline guys gave it away for selfish reasons. Management promised them the world if they relaxed scope and they took it.
I would like to say that 80% of the regional guys would fly for a major if given a chance. The problem is that the majors won't hire unless you have gone through a regional, therefore compounding the problem. It's a never ending circle. But it all started when the mainline guys gave it away.
The Southwest guys are very aware of it all. They rejected their TA mainly because of scope clause, even though they were given a pay raise. It's nice to know that some people learned from other's mistakes.

Just my .02

Amen...

I would love to fly for a "major" airline. Not have my life ruled by contracted flying and have my entire career up in the air every time an RFP comes out.

The sad reality is that ALPA and the other pilots of the "legacy" airlines killed any pilot's (including thier own) chance of having a worthwhile career. It began 20 years ago and has blossomed into what it is today.

It is incredible to hear the mainline pilots cry about the situation of the industry today and blame it on guys and gals like me. I've only been an airline pilot for 6 years now, I do it because it is where my skills and education can earn me a living. I was not here when the rules of the game where drawn up by the mainline pilot's greed and lack of foresight.

When the first RJ rolled off the line, you were all too good to fly the thing. I blame you for not having them on your payscales and certificates. Imagine if the thousands of "regional" pilots flying these terrible RJs around were on your list and in your union... do you think the low wages would stand up against a representative body that big?

Don't blame those of us who are having to play with the hand YOU dealt us. You need to look in the mirror to find the people responsible for the state of pilot compensation today and the route that new pilots are forced to take to build a career.

Last edited:
.....I do it because it is where my skills and education can earn me a living......

Hate to break it to you, but if that's the case there must not be a lot of skills and education there, and that's including the mainline job your counting on.

You're about 30 years too late for that earning power.

Hate to break it to you, but if that's the case there must not be a lot of skills and education there, and that's including the mainline job your counting on.

You're about 30 years too late for that earning power.

Trust me... I've got enough skills and education to do just fine.

And I'm not counting on anything... especially a mainline job. You guys did a fine job of rubbing the luster off that gem. Your "current position" should be all the proof you need of that point.

Enjoy your Citation... there is no call coming from your airline.

Regardless, my point still stands. The current crop of regional guys, myself included, did not cause this. All we can do is slowly try to undo the damage to the industry we walked into and try to make the opportunities for ourselves better than they were yesterday.

Eventually it may be a moot point... I think the damage may be permanent. Then perhaps I too will be pounding the corporate pavement for a Citation gig as well.

Trust me... I've got enough skills and education to do just fine.

And I'm not counting on anything... especially a mainline job. You guys did a fine job of rubbing the luster off that gem. Your "current position" should be all the proof you need of that point.

Enjoy your Citation... there is no call coming from your airline.

Regardless, my point still stands. The current crop of regional guys, myself included, did not cause this. All we can do is slowly try to undo the damage to the industry we walked into and try to make the opportunities for ourselves better than they were yesterday.

Eventually it may be a moot point... I think the damage may be permanent. Then perhaps I too will be pounding the corporate pavement for a Citation gig as well.

Boy even a cheap 4 year degree at a state school and the return on that investment is a regional airline salary? What math did they teach Devry?

The "current crop of regional guys" is doing a fine job of ruining this industry as well as the crop of majors. Everyone of them, myself included, was an enabler. Your denial simply shows the effects of SJS.

And the moniker has nothing to do with the airplane, but rather that rocking chevrolet model of the 80's!

Imagine if the thousands of "regional" pilots flying these terrible RJs around were on your list and in your union... do you think the low wages would stand up against a representative body that big?

I'm begging you, guys. Regardless of your view of everything else that's been said, or of regional pilots as individuals, take a moment to envision this scenario. It's been said a million times before, but it bears repeating. Our careers may be collapsing around us, and if all we can do is bludgeon each other in anonymity without taking five seconds to sit down and learn something, things are going to get even worse.

Latest resources

Back