• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

To all you guys who've made it already:

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am really a reporter and a writer. I am going to take all these non-copywritten neat stories and put them in a book and make lots of money.............who said there is no money in aviation.LOL

Clownpilot - That's one of the funniest things I've read on this board. More pilots should have a sense of humor like yours.

I think StrikeFinder must have my old freight run. And I completely agree - after flying 6 approaches to minimums in a plane that has been doing some frieght run or another for the past 30 years is not my idea of the funnest flying of my life.

But, when I lost that job and had to go back to instructing to stay in the air, I must admit there are days when I miss flying that stupid run. Signature Baltimore is the best FBO I ever got stuck in, and I think I had the same conversation with the same DHL pilot thinking the same exact thing as they rode in the van out to their plane.

I'll never foget one night I was hanging out by that popcorn maker watching the radar just get worse and worse when a lady breezed in from a Coca-Cola Hawker. She looked at the same radar picture, smiled, and asked me where I was trying to get to. When I told her what I was flying (my trusty dusty PA34), she got that faraway look in her eyes and told me that it gets better.

This is one the best ever threads I've seen on here. Period. Thanks for all the stories, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading them.

Well Said

Just remember the Polish saying that it is never so bad that it cant get worse.

I totally agree with what you are feeling coz i've been there too. From instructing for several years to finally getting on at a regional just to find out that I cant afford to live on what I made. To go back to instructing once again, get stabbed in the back by your boss and nearly put yourself and your family into bankruptcy court.

Dont worry dude coz it will get better for you. Just when you feel the only thing you can do is jump off the rotating beacon at the airport something will break.

I have flown for 11 years now sacrificing and getting my head kicked in for peanuts with one goal in mind. I am fortunate enough to have recently reached my goal and have started IOE with NetJets in the Citation Excel. I realize that this is not the dream job of everybody but it is where I have wanted to be for the last 11 years and now that I am there I cant believe how lucky I am.

Without any further win one for the Gipper quote, one day you will look back on what you are doing now and think Holy Sh't I lived, but some of it would have been pretty darn fun. Anyway, it all has a way of working out. Enjoy the job and be careful.

I like this thread, good reading...

Looks like I'm not the only one who looks back very fondly on my check hauling days. Maybe my brain is supressing the bad stuff: ice, thunderstorms with no radar, no a/p, loading my own freight, trying to stay awake over Mason City, IA at 0300 on my way to St. Paul... but man it was a ball. Every time I see a freighter C-310 or Baron or hear a Starcheck on the radio I wish I could do it again. Not that'd I'd give up my 737 seat to go back and do it, too much of a pay cut, but sometimes I wish I could get a part time freight gig. That's real flying.

A coupla years ago on a downtown Kansas City overnight I wandered over to MKC and the Airnet ramp. Sat in one of my old 310's, talked with its pilot and a Lear crew. Told 'em to enjoy this job while it lasts, it's some of the best flying they'll ever do; they looked at me like I'd had one too many hits off the old crack pipe.

I must be one of those weird, nutty airline pilots that actually loves to fly. On my days off I even head to the local aerodrome to rent a Citabria. A tailwheel, a stick and tandem seats, what a blast. Wish I could buy me a fun flying machine one of these days...

Stay with it guys.
John

Well, here's a twist...

Well, I guess karma is going to teach me something after all this.

I got the call for a Chatauqua class date October 24th, so I will be looking back on this at the end of next week. I will undoubtedly miss the people and friends I've made here, and the past couple of days, I've reflected a lot on the good stuff that's happened here. It wasn't *all* bad, I admit. I do have a great appreciation for those that told me when I was coming up that every pilot should have to go through this.

However, I'm pretty frickin' riled up about moving on to bigger and better things!

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I'll let you know the real answer in a few months...:cool:

Just got back from UKLL. I have never landed or taken off on a runway so rough with a jet. It was worse than some bush runways. We have no idea how great we have it here. As someone said who was fooling who when the cold war was going on. Anyhow it is great to be back home in the good ol' USA.

Clown-
My hat is off to you- that was absolutely hysterical to say the least. I have not laughed this hard since my comm ride- :D

keep up the posting-

3 5 0

Latest resources

Back