Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Strikefinder

Captain Backfire
What a night. Seems like it was 300 broken everywhere I went, like some sort of Charlie Brown like cloud followed me from place to place. Yeah, I know, it's probably more representative of *any* low pressure system, but I like to think that mother nature schedules its rages around my flight schedule. :D

So I'm up at Signature in BWI waiting for some "go" juice and munching on the free brownies when a group of DHL pilots come in. I guess the DHL guys get a ride out to wherever they're parked with the Signature van, since I see them all the time when I'm waiting around at Signature. Historically, as with most pilots I try to strike up conversation with around there, the DHL folks haven't given much attention to my freight trash self, but one of the guys from this group tonight actually started talking to me. He asked what I was flying, and when I pointed to the aircraft parked in front with four layers of paint shining through and said with a smile "that mighty Baron there," his response, as I've heard once or twice before, was this:

"You'll think that that was the most fun flying you've ever had someday."

I'm sure we've all heard that statement, or some variety of it, before. Probably many times. I don't know who this particular gentleman was, and I do genuinely appreciate his taking notice of me (in absence of so many HR departments with a real job in their hands). I want to make it clear that despite what I'm about to say, I know he meant well and as a human being I'd put this guy at the top, because looking forward to working with guys like him, who are personable, cheerful, and social is one of the reasons I keep beating myself silly in this business.

However, his statement, however well intentioned, made me think about a lot of things, including what I wanted to tell the generation that came after me--what to tell the freight dogs, the flight instructors, the banner towers and glider pullers and what have you. I came to this conclusion: I hope he's full of it.

You see, I don't know about the rest of you, but this "great" part of my life has pretty well bit the big one. I've been chasing a job around the country for the past two years; I've lived in seven locations in five states, and I'm moving again this weekend. If I get hired by a regional, I'll move again. I haven't seen my friends or most of my family in eons, I live on peanut butter sandwiches and hamburgers from McDonalds on the good days. I hand-fly aircraft that were manufactured twenty years before I was born and are riddled with gremlins through terrible weather by myself to get home at midnight when anyone I might want to hang around with is already in bed. I can't hold down a relationship to save my life, since I have nothing to offer but a paper license as elaborate as a first grade art project as my collateral for a future.

I sound like I'm complaining, but it misses my point. I'm glad I've had the opportunity to do the things I've done. I'm glad I've lived all over the country, flown junky aircraft, and lived in relative poverty, because the experience has made me stronger. It has made me appreciate things I once took for granted, like my friends and family. It has taught me discipline and respect for those who came before me. And though there are days where I really get frustrated with what I do, there are enough occasions where I feel so fortunate to see and experience the things in the vertical world that it will keep me going until the next big step.

So what's the reason for this ramble? If you happen to be one of those guys who's been lucky enough to walk down my road and then make it to the next realm, where you may be plodding along in a Hawker or an ERJ, then tell the next struggling pilot like me you come across the truth. That it's f'n cool. That it kicks a$$. That it's worth every ounce of sacrifice and dedication that we're putting in to get there. That's what we all need to hear to stay motivated. I know that the union contracts and the poor management and the rowdy passengers put a sour note on it all, but I still want to know that this road leads somewhere better than here. And you folks can give that motivation by just telling me and the rest of us that it gets better every step of the way! :cool:

Anyhow, I'll get off my pedistal. Thinking about this has made me regain some motivation that I've been lacking lately, though, and I thought maybe you all could share in it. To those who are there, I hope I'll be joining you soon, and to those who haven't made it, let's hope we're in class together!

:D

It's well worth it...

The day before yesterday I was coming back from Florida at FL430, cruising along at Mach .83 sitting in the left seat of a Falcon 900EX. As I gazed out the window at the setting sun I was reflecting quietly to myself that I couldn't believe I was actually sitting here... 34 years old, surrounded by $35,000,000.00 worth of machinery and state-of-the-art electronics, and the company I work for had released it all into my command.... For me to make all the necessary decisions, and to safely fly my passengers anywhere they may need to go, anywhere on the planet....

How was this day at work different than any other? It wasn't... I've been flying for this company for nearly 6 years... been a Captain on the 900EX as long as we've had them...

Just another day on the job...

But that in itself is what makes it stand out... The fact that even with all the b!tching and complaining we may do, most of us still truely love to fly... We may not show up for work 4 hours early in sheer excitement, but in those quiet moments, when the cockpit chatter has dwindled... You notice a particually beautiful sunset... and that is when you realize how truely lucky you are for being in the seat you are in....

If you love flying, hang in there, it will pay off... maybe not tomorrow, next week or even next year.... But if you persist long enough you will be rewarded....

Fly safe, keep your head up and keep trying to get ahead, you never know when things will work out... If my passengers weren't late for departure 6 1/2 years ago, I probably wouldn't be in the seat I am today... But that is an entire story unto itself... Everything happens for a reason, just sometimes we are not privey to the reason until after the facts are played out...

Good Luck and Fly Safe!

Strikefinder,

Though my background is military flying, I see some parallels. I look back at my junior days flying crummier airplanes/missions as some of the best flying I ever did. It was a great time.

But I suspect that--like a lot of folks--I tend to remember the good stuff and forget the bad. And of course when we look back a couple of decades or more, we're looking back at a time when we had more hair, our joints didn't ache, we were twenty pounds lighter, the hangovers didn't hurt as much, and the baby-dolls came more readily to hand. Or at least that's the way I remember it.

It's been 27 years since my first solo flight. Right now I'm flying late model fighters overseas. And it's okay, but nothing like the fun I had 15 years ago. But I'll bet that 15 years from now, this gig will seem like a blast.

Time polishes the rough edges from the past.

Regards,
Furloboy

It is very, very good. I wouldn't change anything about it.

Out of respect for many outstanding pilots who are struggling to find work, I will leave it at that.

Be encouraged, it will get better. Godspeed to those in the hunt.

Strikefinder,

I've had the same statement said to me when I was flying 135 frieght by a Southwest pilot (who was jumpseating in the right seat of my Chieftan that I was flying). I am know flying an RJ for a great airline, but I've come to appreciate what he said, dont get me wrong I'm totaly excited about the flying I'm doing now, but the challenge of night frieght, single pilot,no autopilot, bad wx, low ceilings, just cant be beat. And those nice nights and days when you take off VFR and just cruise your way to an airport in the middle of nowhere.....

Hang in there all your sacrifice and hard work will pay off one day, the flying and quality of life will improve, but youll look back at the challenges of your experience and come to really appreciate it, I know I did.

Take it easy

Last edited:
Geez, this has to be the best thread I have seen in a long time. I can identify with all of you. Strikefinder, I started flying airplanes when I was 14. I washed and waxed all week to be able to fly 2 hours on the weekend. To me nothing was better. Then a buddy joined the Army (Don’t laugh) and he informed me of the Warrant Officer program. I just knew he was nuts but inside of a year I was on a first name basis with the recruiter. So I went to flight school. I loved it. I asked the TAC Officer what I wanted to fly and where I wanted to go to fly the most. Hueys, Korea. The memories as a brand new W1. PIC in 2 months, my copilot 2 weeks behind me in school. The blind leading the blind in essence. They are right when they say it is better to be lucky then good but that is a lot of stories and beers ago. That was in 84. Flew the mighty Hawk (H60) and a 3 year stint in Spec Ops. We all complained as pilots will do but in secret we all loved it. The telephone in the middle of the night, the ride in the back of a C5 to somewhere. Reassmbling the aircraft, flying the mission’s way over crew rest and with NVG’s. Sleeping in an old hanger, cold showers (where was the glamour?lol) but the stories you could tell. I would even drop skydivers on weekends in a old, ratty C182 to build airplane time. Thinking I wanted to fly for Customs. Went for PHI instead because the Customs Service was in the middle of a hiring freeze. Spent a year in the Gulf learning to fly as a civilian. The least pay I ever earned but I loved it. Did a stint in Central America, a whole different philosophy there but the stories and memories right? Finally the Customs Job came. And with it the Jet time, C550 type and fun at first. But be careful whet you wish for. That “best” job for me was the most boring job around. Good bunch of guys but we had many political constraints. To me there as no job satisfaction. Maybe I was wrapped to tight for those guys. I stayed in the TX Guard the whole time flying Hawks. Met some TWA pilots is Mexico City while working the embassy there. One was in the VT Guard. Trading flying/Guard stories over some cold beers there. We found out we know the same people. It is truly a small world. I got an interview there and started to fly military fixed wing. Got my BE20 time there. After Customs I thought I wanted to be an airline pilot so I went to ABX as a DC8 FE. Absolutely the most difficult time I ever had but we all passed. Geez IOE was a hoot. But the first time alone with the 8(as a FE) you had the feeling you were forgetting something. Very big airplane, at least it was big to me. After a while you got comfortable with it. As we all do when we do it long enough and it was fun. I was going somewhere with my career. All I was waiting for a pilot slot to open up. Remember I was now in the VT Guard, working in OH and living in TX. I was exercising my God given right to live 1500 miles from where I worked. Then the rumors of coming furloughs… I and thousands like me started putting out feelers to the military looking for a full time slot. Most anywhere would do, after all we are pilots right? We fly. We do not operate as greeters at Wal-Mart. At least not till I retire so I was gearing up for Korea for a year since I was not senior enough for Germany. (Funny how we come full circle) flying DHC7’s. WIA sent me to Lear school in Dallas where I met my girlfriend (sim partner, yes I know, I know) So I received THE phone call while I was in Lear school. “Do you want to go to Korea for year or some undisclosed location for six months flying C12’s”? “We cannot tell you where it is unless you are by a secure phone”. You are joking right I said, I am in a freaking hotel room in Dallas. No way. I will call you next Monday I said. I called back, a NCO answered the phone. “Are you by a secure phone sir”? OK, I will tell you it starts with a “K”. So here I am... a furloughed airline pilot want-to-be. Waiting for another phone call. I do not want to give up my seniority number just yet so going to another airline or a fractional is out of the question. Yes Strikefinder, I have been there. I have searched the couch cushions for change so I could get hotdogs to go with my macaroni a cheese while flying for PHI. In all that mess I have been married and divorced 2 times and I could not blame them one iota. But I am told it builds character. But you cannot live off of that I know. Would I do it again or would I have changed anything in my past knowing what I know now? Now way. Thats not true either. I would have treated my wives better. When you are dying all your friends will be with you. You may not have much or any money anyway but that does not matter. Memories you will have and you will be blessed with lots of them. Falcon CPT is right on about being rewarded. I still love coming to work early, the magic is still there and I am enjoying the simple things more. Go for your dream I say. Or forever you will wonder “what could have been?”
j

Last edited:
Thanks to the guys that posted. I like strikefinder had the same kind of night and same kinds of feelings. I too have heard from numerous people that I should enjoy what I do because it is the most fun I will have. So I say thanks.

Life's experiences

Lessee......five moves to five states in five years, including three moves to three states in slightly more than a year. Flying good equipment, mostly, but, at times sitting next to people who knew little, if anything, about what it means to shower. Meeting some great people - and, some "people" who were lower than snakes to the ground. Being lied to, or, at the least, being deceived. Hitting a wall trying to build a career. Being hit with the notion that the only way to reach my goal might be to pay for the job, i.e. paying for the chance to succeed - or fail. Anyone for a set of loaded dice?

Sure, I'd trade some of it for some success - but no way would I trade it in for the life experience and lessons it taught me.

Good thread.

Last edited:
Well, as a low-timer who is trying to find the finances to be a higher-timer to get that Baron freight job after you and a bunch of others move on to bigger, better, faster and more reliable aircraft, I raise my glass in a toast to this thread.

Keep on keepin' on!

I'll see ya'll on the airways (I'll be the one asking Kennedy Approach to talk slower since I am conditioned to the southern way of talking slower :D :D :D )

The Big Time

I think, when you hit the big time, you get wrapped up in senority and union stuff and all the other pressures of the job. It's human nature, for me at least, to forget the bad stuff of past jobs and remember the good stuff. Flying a Baron around single pilot seemed like a good deal to the DHL guy cause he was remembering the good times he had doing it and forgot what sucked about it....or maybe he was just being optimistic. When I meet some kid who wants to do what I'm doing, I try to be honest about the job and what it takes to get there....mostly they just say "you make HOW much?"....

I guess you just need to keep plugging away and hope for the best. When I was in your shoes, I was more than happy to keep doing that. The challenges of getting there make many fall by the wayside...that's the reality of this business.

Latest resources

Back